Dulux decorator caulk leaving dark patches

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Kyle Ford, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

Hi we're doing a house but we have noticed where we have caulked in the bedrooms that are now finished that it was leaving dark lines where the he caulk is.

We have had to use a stain block where the lines are and then cut in over it all again, only to find out we have to re paint the bedrooms again. I can get pictures if requested.

But this shouldn't happen surely, we have caulked down side of a door casing and its going darker as it's dried (left it properly to dry and not painted over).

Any help will be much appreciated as we're going round in circles.

2. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Contact the Dulux technical team. Find it on Google.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also caulk shouldn't be regarded as a finish.

5. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

Yeah my boss has done and they're working on sorting someone to come out and look at it.

I know it's not regarded as finished but I'm talking about 3 bedrooms that we have fully finished, all walls and ceilings done and woodwork but then afterwards when all that had been done the dark caulk lines showed through after the finished product.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hard to see the dark line from pics (on my phone anyway) but around the architrave, looks like uv caulked after painting ? Or is that a bead of silicone ?

If it's caulk, looks way too heavy and you've ended up with a visable bead instead of a neat 90 degree junction between wall and architrave

It's defiantly caulk and not silicone :eek: ?

7. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

We caulked after painting due to us being in the house whilst a lot of other work going on I.e joiners, tilers, underfloor heaters and so on, just getting solid coats on the walls for minute. We're going round in circles due to other trades doing work around us. Also the caulk down side of the architrave after painting is mainly to show that it causes a dark line exactly where the caulk is.

Im not asking for tips on how to get a 90 degree junction between wall and architrave... I'm here asking why our caulk leaves dark patches of behind. So basically we go into a room prep it all up do the caulking etc, then when we have painted it all afterwards it's leaving dark lines where the caulk is. So having to go back and seal where the caulk is only to repaint the whole room again.

Shouldn't be happening imo, never seen anything like it on any other houses I've worked on. Not happy with dulux as there customer service is not meeting the standards it should.

(edit) and yes it's definitely white dulux decorator caulk. We wouldn't be using silicone for decorating interior.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You're sounding stressed out and aggressive from your reply

I'm only diy but trying to offer some advice from experience

Sounds like there's loads going on at home and trying to decorate inbetween various trades can be difficult. Many of us have been there and come out the other side relatively unscathed and sane with all jobs completed

However, caulking after painting makes no sense, whatever the scenario is and it's not how caulk is designed to be used

Not used the Dulux stuff myself but many caulks dry up greyish - not a problem as the idea is to overpaint when dry

Wondering what your using to tool the caulk with. If it's spread over the painted wall then this could be drying and giving the dark lines

What stain bloc and what emulsion are you using out of interest

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Perhaps it's the make up of the caulks mobile phase that's bleeding into the paint, whatever has happened it's not good enough, I would be interested to hear what the Dulux rep says the problem is. Good luck.

Hey DIYDave, chill man! ;):rolleyes:

Ceri Williamson likes this.
  10. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

I'm not being aggressive at all lol, it may have sounded like it as I was typing on the phone before so had to try and pack as much info in as possible.

I understand that it's difficult with other tradies in there with us, I don't understand peoples way of working these days but us Decorators should most definitely be on the job last.

Here is where I may argue over the point you made about whatever the scenario that is should never be caulked after painting. Why is that an issue? I know obviously to caulk before painting as we always do when we are prepping. Thing is that architrave you can see was put up 2 week after we got coats on the walls. So we have had to caulk after painting due to the joiners not been on the job. Now In my eye's I don't see the problem with caulking after painting as long as it gets painted over when dry.

As I got taught in College I literally use my finger and a bit of spit to tool the caulk off, that isn't just me that does it as my bosses do the same an old trick of the trade I guess. And like I said before whether the way we tool it off or caulk after painting this has never happened on any other house that we've worked on.

The paint is Dulux Vinyl Matt Egyptian Cotton and the stain block is White Zinsser B-I-N Interior and spot exterior.

11. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

That's a much more better answer I was looking for, my boss reckons it's a bad batch of caulk but yes we can't wait for the Dulux Rep to come out and look at it because first thing he will say well I bet you've not let it dry, but we then tested it on the architrave afterwards to see if it darkens and it darkens on it's own without any paint on it.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Your boss is probably correct Dulux can't make batches of paint the same consistency so what chance has the caulk got! Try Brewers Premium Caulk fabulous stuff.

KIAB likes this.
  13. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

Haha true and I will recommend that if it turns out it's Dulux's fault :)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can't remember exactly but around £1 per tube I believe! ;)

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Actually looks like Ronseal 2 part woodfiller

18. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I had an identical problem with the Brewers Premium caulk. Chucked two tubes away and haven't used it since. Astramax obviously hasn't had a problem with
    it but I can't think what other factors could affect it. Very strange. The room I was doing was light grey on 3 walls and pink on t'other, maybe certain colours only are
    affected.

19. Kyle Ford

Kyle Ford New Member

I'm not too sure but it's pretty good wood filler

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Are the brown bits wood filler or caulk ?