Nip in t'bud.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Apr 14, 2017.

1. This was a little cleverer than that.

Identified the new buzzword, turned it round and used it against the very people that wanted it.

And how many fell for it? And still are? I use fillyboy as a good example, amongst the other usual suspects

2. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Well, to be fair, does Trump say the word 'populist'? Did Farage? Le Pen? Do they describe themselves as populists? Does Bernie Sanders?
    I don't recall them building the term into their rhetoric. The commentators in the media are the ones that described them as populists. The word spread across the media like a wave...
    Trump used populist rhetoric for sure, they all have but then they're politicians and they pretty much all do. Even May on occasion pretends to care about the little people. It's standard politics.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just see this.

Is it true. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ec81f1042bdc76a782ae48132cd246e4.jpg

5. I do indeed, JJ.

Cringe-worthy lack of dignity. Juvenile. Devoid of maturity or sophistication. The most base of posturing for his 4th-grade audience back home.

I bet you loved them.

6. You are kidding, right?

7. Of course they didn't use that term!

Because it does have the connotations I have mentioned before.

'Populist' does imply a glib manipulation of the unthinking masses. It's what Salmond does, for example - he says things that massages many Scot's fragile egos, like "We'll no dance tae Westminster's toon" or "They are insulting the intelligence of the Skottish people."

The irony being, of course, that you do have to be pretty thick and fragile before you nod your heed in agreement at these spoutings, and set off with an extra swagger in yer step.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I would think so. :rolleyes:

9. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Yes, even Salmond plays the 'populist' card.
    But, (there was always going to be one :D )

Populist implies....being for the people, being pro the people, being anti oligarch, anti elitism. Nowhere in the definition of the term or in the political 'philosophy' does, "a glib manipulation of the unthinking masses" get a mention ;)

I'm not exactly thanking the media for associating the idea with the likes of Farage and Trump! Not thanking them for twisting it in the way that they have where even people on Trades forums think it's a dirty word :D

10. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

My goodness DA, you really have got a chip on your shoulder about Brexit and Nigel Farage. Do you live in Notting Hill or Chipping Norton? Which ever it is you seem to be in thrall to the Cameroons and the remainers.

P J Thompson likes this.
  12. My goodness, 'arry - that's a neat bit of feigned surprise.

'Chip'? No. Just insight.

I despise Farage, what he represents and how he manipulates.

Of course, he'd be completely harmless if it were not for a relatively unsophisticated population. I don't despise them, but I struggle to have respect for them; wanton stupidity is not an attractive quality.

Notting Hill? No. Chipping Whatsit? No. Cameron? No.

Remainers? Yes, of course.

13. My original reply went a bit funny - but I think it was a point worth making - it's to do with the juxtaposition of the two 'populisms'.

The irony being that the folk who succumb pliantly to 'modern' populist rhetoric like Salmond's and Farage's (yes, 'that' populist...) think at the same time that they are being genuinely populist (your original meaning).

A double-whammy of manipulation :)

14. Harry Stottle

How high is your horse DA? It's somewhat arrogant to say that the population is relatively unsophisticated and imply that you are above that level. It seems that having your nose pushed out by the sophisticated majority, you can only flail around and say nasty things, trying to create ill feeling towards anyone who had the good sense to push for and vote to leave the EU.

15. You are welcome to your view obviously.

But none of this superior majority has any idea what brexit means, but you support it. That demonstrates his point I think

16. Harry Stottle

Hey Jack, just a moment; How do you know that none of the Brexiteers has any idea? Baseless generalities carry no weight. DA likes throwing unsubstantiated comments in and he has lost credibility. If you think remaining is better, you are also welcome to your view.
    Yes, I do support Brexit and I'm one of many millions of Brits who thought carefully and know more about it than you think.

17. Great.

Tell me what brexit is then?

Neither the government or the EU know, so your knowledge will help

18. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Come on JoT ,,, The EU know exactly what Brexit means...... A whole lot less money coming into their pot. Germany is going to be the one country to pick up this shortfall (and Herr Merkel knows this full well)

19. Harry Stottle

You're at it again Jack. You can't know whether the Government or the EU don't know. of course they know. One thing I don't know and that's why it is that some remainers still think leaving's a bad thing. How things have improved since the referendum and we're not even out of the dreaded EU yet, just wait till UK Ltd is at full speed post EU, it will be Great Britain again.