Conservatory leaking outside

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pde100, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pde100

pde100 Member

hi there,

I am having trouble with my conservatory. As you can see from the attached photo's when it rains it seems the gutter leaks into the frame of the conservatory which then constantly drips of the window ledge and has caused water damage to the outside break work. I have cleaned the gutter and I can't see how the water is getting in? any ideas? There seems to be a silver lining in the gutter, does anyone know if I can re-line the gutter please?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Aluminmun gutter?

A photo showing inside that corner where it's leaking would be useful.

You could throughly clean inside of gutter & give it a coat of Everbuild Evercryl,should solve the leak.(from TS):oops:

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/Evercryl?filter_name=evercryl

But, is it definitley the gutter leaking, could the water be getting in under the roof sheet jointing trim & running down inside the window frame & exiting at the bottom.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

When its dry, try running a hose pipe into the gutter so its the only place water gets to, if it then leaks you can say its the gutter.

But I'm thinking it could be coming from the roof some how and by passing the gutter and running down the inside of that corner post, which is a hollow tube.

KIAB and Rulland like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Why did I say window frame:confused: when I meant corner post.:confused::rolleyes:

5. pde100

pde100 Member

hi thanks for your suggestions, KIAB not sure if you wanted another close up of the corner were the water is dripping from? looks like it is coming from inside.

I will try testing the gutter then maybe look for a crack in the roof somewhere

thanks

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking into gutter & the corner area.

7. pde100

pde100 Member

more photos from inside the conservatory and looking into the gutter, I did try to squirt some sealant into the gutter which has now turned abit brown

Attached Files:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I think the gutter on that corner is the problem, remove that black coating & clean up the gutter, also removing that finial(can be stuck back on with Stixall) & having a nosey underneath it might be hiding a leak, most likely leaking on a joint & allowing water to trickle down inside the hollow post..
    It would also give you access to the whole gutter for a coat or two of Evercryl.

9. pde100

pde100 Member

thanks very much - do you know how I can remove the black coating? Or what I could replace it with please?

thanks

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The coating looks like it's missing in places,so might come off with a scraper, old sharpish chisel, if it's firmly attach, then over paint it should be ok.

Everbuild Evercryl should solve the leak, posted linky in my earlier reply

But, you need to remove that finial & treat the gutter behind it.

11. pde100

pde100 Member

thanks that's very helpfull

12. pde100

pde100 Member

Hello

Update to the post if ok. I’ve taken another look and now gutter has drained & is dry I have removed the flashing strip the stuck over the problem area with a black sticky tar like substance & have found a large split in the plastic gutter. I will post pics. I have brought evercryl everbuild but I think it won’t cover such a large crack can anyone recommend something please ..? Thanks muchly in advance .?

13. pde100

pde100 Member

Pics of the gutter below. The black ribbon st the top of the gutter is the black sticky stuff and rubbery flashing strip

Attached Files:

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pretty sure Evercryl would work.

clean out crack, then work evercyrl well in,when dry give area another coat.

15. pde100

pde100 Member

Oh that great news cause I already brought a tin ! I just wondered if it would cover such a big gap. I did wonder if any type of pwatcg was available too.? Thanks very much indeed,!

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Gun some Weather seal in the crack, our hosts sell it, white. black and clear available.

17. pde100

pde100 Member

Great thanks weather seal on the gap then evercryl on top ? Is weather seal the same as gutter seal I see in there ? Thanks

18. pde100

pde100 Member

19. pde100

pde100 Member

Thanks

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member