Pinterest and customers

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by sospan, Apr 22, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Pinterest has always been good for ideas but this is a new one for me.

As I was coming an end of my latest project the female customer posted the pictures to her friends on Facebook. One of the items in the room was a king sized bed that was based on a picture from Pinterest. Within a few hours, I had four requests back from her friends all with pictures from Pinterest.

One of them was "I want to knock through under the stairs and have a light with a bookcase and a settee". By the description alone I would have had no idea what she wanted but the picture made a lot more sense
    upload_2017-4-22_11-22-17.png

The good thing is that is "exactly" what she wants not "like this but different !". By the speed of the responses I got, It appears that a lot of homeowners are creating detailed wishlists of projects and waiting for the opportunity to get them done.

When I will get it done is another matter

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It does look nice and is a good idea. Not sure how it'd work in a narrow hallway though :)have to be open plan living and dining room. Round by me people would love that, but most would have a fit at what it would cost to make.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, for quite a lot of people they want the earth but don't want to pay for it. However, what seems to happen more these days is that people want more "unique", "one of a kind" etc. and would prefer to pay for things like this rather than facias, driveways etc. The other requests I got were to panel and trim out a hallway and stairs with a clothes cupboard, make up a kitchen island to hold a reclaimed butchers block and veg baskets. But the one I am reticent to do is an ornate garden fence - complete with detailed picket fence, chunky detailed posts, archway with a gate. All those individual picket fence posts to cut and paint .....

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Of all the excellent ideas on Pinterest, I have been told the one she sent me is exactly what she wants Which was such a surprise to be sent a "can you build me this?" message

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Careful,work will snowball,once she starts showing her friends, news travels fast nowadays.:)

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats what happened with the first one, she showed her friends a photo of the bedroom I was finishing for her, and four requests came back all with pictures of what they want.

Really struggling at the moment, finishing at 10 at night, injuries are not helping

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had same happen after building kitchen storage unit for friend years ago,nothing too fancy, just a shelf unit built to fit into a wide recess with half width shelf units of different depths in front on sliding tracks & hidden away behind a pair of doors.
    No social media back then, but word got around very quickly.:rolleyes:

Working late will soon take it's toll on you, & I speak from experience,you have to draw a line,set a time to finish & stick to it.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Too late it is already taking its toll. I had my 4th bit of surgery last year on my left knee and the calf has ballooned to 19 inches tonight, tore the cartilage in the right one again two weeks ago, lost the feeling in the tip of my middle finger on the left after I hit it with a hammer and the ulna nerve in my right arm tweaked again last night using the rotex sander one handed.

Plus all the previous ones :D

Anyway, how are you holding up with your heavy demo work ?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Having to have a couple days off,no choice,shoulder swollen,& no feeling in right fingers.:(
    So,removing lower section of chimney will have to wait a few months before being being tackled, might even get someone in to do it, & someone to replace the doors,as I can't manage lifting them.:mad:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  11. I've chust done a quick calculation - if you two were to get together, you'd almost have a full set of working limbs betwixt you.

(That didn't help, did it? :( )

KIAB likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

True but what about this bit :D

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never felt old until recently ;)

Shame we didn't live closer, could help each out.

What's the story with the doors ? may have missed that bit

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Going to get new doors throughout shack in a few months,going to get someone else to fit them.

Last week I was in Morrisons & a boy about 3 offered me his seat he was sat on,as his his mum had told him it's polite to offer seat your to the elderly,I thanked him & refused, I'm only 53.:(

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Very nice to see the boy has some traditional manners though

I turned 55 a few months back and it never really bothered me until a few weeks ago.

KIAB and PC Works like this.
  16. PC Works

PC Works Member

How much would one of those sofas wedged between/under the stairs cost to make?

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Something like that about £500 plus extra for the cushions

PC Works likes this.
  18. PC Works

PC Works Member

£500 including materials (excluding cushions)? How long would it take to construct?

Should say that I'm just curious rather than a potential customer. I'm pretty poor at time managing and estimating the cost of thing, labour etc

19. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Don't know about anyone else, but that space in my house is filled with gas meter, electric meter, consumer unit and so much cabling that it would cost £2k just to make space to start the job.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Nice idea. Got a church pew under my stairs but that is a good idea.

Design it around a single mattress size and it could work as an extra bed for the odd emergency stopover.

Could see London types going crazy for that.