Thinking of going alone. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by johnoosmith, Apr 22, 2017.

1. johnoosmith

johnoosmith New Member

I work for a large firm in slough and taken for granted.
    Ave ad enuff of it and now think im gonna setup a handyman firm.
    Does ne1 have any advice for setting up small business?

Iwill be offering diy decorating plastering things like that.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What are your skills with the 'large firm'?

3. johnoosmith

johnoosmith New Member

well been doin all sorts their for years. the firm has be putting up dry wall at the moment but i have been a labourer and chippy.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good luck, three things, be punctual, reliable and offer sensible prices :) it will take a while to gain a good customer base.

KEEPGREEN likes this.
  5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

And speak English not text speak !!!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Innit bro!

7. just pumps

:mad:

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

;):D

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And don't put all your eggs into one basket or count your chickens, but drag a mattress everywhere, so you'll always have something to fall back on!

har de bloody har.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not a bad area to be based in for work and you can enjoy the smells of Horlicks and Mars bars as you drive around

11. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Not to mention the sewer works near Cippenham.
    I grew up in Slough and went self employed there many years ago, I would say that in terms of advertising, aim for Windsor and Maidenhead, better clientele, but do a good job and word of mouth is your best form of advertising.
    I moved to Cornwall ten years ago, very slightly lower money but no competition.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep the one near Eton Wick is a bit ripe on times and right next to the Thames for the discharge.

The clientele is much better north of the M4 - Maidenhead, Beaconsfield, the Chalfonts, Stoke Poges etc.

Better lifestyle in Cornwall to the "home counties"

13. johnoosmith

johnoosmith New Member

thanks to all of ur replies. appreciate it. will work on spelling to.

@fillyboy was it hard going self employed in the area?

14. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

No, twenty odd years ago it was a piece of cake, a small ad in the slough Windsor & eton express and I was flooded with work, that was before the Eastern European influx so things might be a little different now.
    Also, advertising in local papers doesn't work like it used to, like yellow pages, it's becoming obsolete in this digital age.
    Have a look at 'vistaprint' online, they will knock out a 1000 business cards at a good price, they can also set up a website for a small one off fee plus £20 a month, that's a lot cheaper than the local paper.
    I'm not a fan of sites like 'rated people' etc, but they work for some, but not cheap if you're just starting out.
    All in all I'd say you're probably in one of the best areas in the country for going it alone, you'll make a lot of mistakes in the first year, I did, one of my biggest mistakes was taking on work that I should have turned away. In my second year, I earned 30% more than the first year and I did less work, it was about having the confidence to say no, and sticking to your price.
    Image is important too, clean(ish) work clothes and a sign written van go a long way.
    Once, in the early days, I went to do a small 2 day job in a small cul de sac in Cippenham and spent a month there, working for every bugger in the road, happy days.

15. just pumps

Friend of mine is an odd job, handyman, painter type work in Sluff, say`s it is hard now to earn a good living, nobody wants to pay the going rate and busy fools working for peanuts.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

^^^^^^[Translation] This is my patch. Keep off!

17. just pumps

Plenty of translation required in Sluff !!!:p

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Used to know the area very well from the mid 80's to late 90's. I was there a couple of years ago and it felt so different.

19. just pumps

Funnily enough I`m there tomorrow. :D

20. johnoosmith

johnoosmith New Member

Really good advice. Thank you.

What kinds of other things should I be looking to have in place?
    Do I need insurance? Would you get insurance?