Sprit levels

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by KIAB, May 1, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Price of skips is wicked, down here in Somerset, it's £260 for a 8 ton skip.:(

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Piece of wood with a marble on it is what i use! :p

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Be interesting the see how you get on with the profile and how they compare between left and right handed people.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I have a 4 ft and a 6ft Fatmax. Best levels I've ever had. Even though I don't use them much nowadays, I wouldn't part with them.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I would have been robbed trying to clear everything into skips, so I did some searching and the grab lorry works out cheaper.

It's £380 for each 32 tonne load. That's the equivalent of four skips. With 1.2m by 600mm foundations there sure is a lot of muck to shift.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Checked 600, 1200 and 2000 levels this morning. 600 and 1200 are accurate with the bubbles in same place. The liquid in the 1200 level has gone lighter in colour.

Surprisingly 2000 is out. Checkec it both ways on flat surface and bubble is in different places. Not happy as i paid something like £70 for this one and neen abused.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would soon be moaning to the company, if it was my level & having paid £70 for it.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Small 10" torpedo level is out buy a bit as well. Use this one quite often as is useful for sockets and switches.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think I'll write them an email about 2m one. Is only anout 3 years old. See what response I get.

Would never have checked them otherwise as trusted the brand.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sent them a message on the website.

I paid £55 for the level in 2015, so less than I quoted above.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you tried the feather in a bowl of water method?

leesparkykent likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Worth a email, might get a new level.:)

13. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I hope so, the 600 and 1200 one have a milled aluminum finish to top and bottom. The 2000 one is just powder coated.

Still ok for chases as don't need it to be 100% accurate, but no point in keeping a level that is out.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Stabila for me and nowt else, have owned a 106T type for a few years now, check that baby out. Game changer.

17. Mblack

Mblack Member

Can't you just replace the bubble? I always carry a couple of spares...

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Received an e-mail reply back from Stabila, Germany and they say they give a 10 year warranty on accuracy of the levels.

They have provided details for agency in UK for any warrant claims.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

20. Is it spirit level season.

Just dug a 600mm one out my shed for a job and the liquid is now clear. Virtually unusable in daylight.

Not a level I use very often, normally bigger or smaller.