tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cearnshaw, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

As be said above he should test circuit he installed and going nowhere near your appliances save him a journey and get someone else and charge him he probably be glad of it anyway

2. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

I figure this has to be something which switches on and off randomly. There is no pattern to it. So we have f/freezer or Quooker. I stuck an RCD plug socket on the Quooker and it was easier than sticking it of the f/freezer plug. This morning the RCD plug on the quooker had tripped but the RCBO on the circuit hasn't. This is gonna be the Quooker isn't it?

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

It could be the culprit but it would need testing. If it's new then it will be on warranty and call then out. If it's not then call an appliance engineer out and get them to test it. your spark should have found this ages ago not wasting yours and his time.

bright_Spark likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

In my experience Quooker's after sale service is second to none.

5. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

well it's none of them. tripped 6x in 10mins this morning so I managed to unlplug each appliance sequentially between trips. It's weird how we get 5-6 trips in 10mins then nothing for a day or two.

6. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Mate you have two choices the way I see it. Either live with and maybe the electrician will find it one day who knows. Or call napit and get another electrician in

bright_Spark likes this.
  7. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

My sentiment too. I think he has been too good to this lunatic. We all get problems we struggle with every now and then but this is beyond belief

8. Phil gretton

Phil gretton New Member

This was like reading a book with the last page ripped out.....
    Any updates on this issue, did the spark sort it or did you get another spark from NAPIT Cearnshaw??

Doall likes this.
  9. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

OK, sorry for the wait. We went on holiday for 3 weeks. Emptied the fridge freezer just in case. Arrived home and all good. Had not tripped whilst we had been away. 2 hours after arriving home it tripped. Son had just plugged his laptop in. Had a fiddle about with things and if I plugged the cable in it was fine but if It then fiddled with the cable it would trip. Swapped the power cable and all good since. Part of the extension was a new room for him so the cable has been up in his old shared bedroom and not moved for 3yrs, I guess when he moved it to his new room something has broken in it but not enough to stop it charging most of the time but enough to give random trips. Consumer unit has been put back to how it was so nothing to do with his wiring however I agree his fault finding took a very random approach not helped by him always having another job he was rushing to or from

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

15 pages of opinions, has this now been sorted or did it go round in circles with much arguing

11. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

yes, it was a dodgy laptop power cord as noted above

12. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

ah right, could not be arsed to trawl that lot!

13. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

It was the last post!