Fix a wooden fence post to a concrete fence post?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by aaronasprey, May 8, 2017.

1. aaronasprey

aaronasprey New Member

I am looking to put a pair of 6ft gates up in my garden, there are currently concrete posts either side of the opening which I would like to attach wooden posts to for the gates to hang from.

If anyone could advise me of the best method for this I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most concrete posts will have reinforicing rod running the length of the post, making it very difficult to attach fixings to.
    Got a photo of posts, are these fence posts, if so will be unsuitable to hang a gate from,what's the overall width & height of these gates.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have seen this done using steel straps that wrap around both concret and timber posts and are tightened with a nut and bolt - 2/3 straps on each post combo

Don't know if these can be purchased or just made up by a metal shop - simple to be made to spec if needed

4. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

As KIAB said. Consideration should be given to the strength of the concrete post foundations. They were built to support a fence? Possibly not suitable for hanging gates.
    I've done the strapping DIYDave described using banding from either Screwfix or Toolstation.
    Maybe you could reduce the weight on the posts by using gate castor so.
    66668.jpg gatecastors_lg.jpg gatecastors_lg.jpg

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Most concrete posts already have holes drilled it to them for this very reason, have you looked. ??

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The straps I've seen are way more beefy than 'builders band'

More like 3/4 mm steel shaped to fit round both posts and clamp tight with a bolt

Have also seen similiar to fit over a single post to hang plant pots or troughs from

7. Joey__

Joey__ Member

Gorilla glue is supposed to be strong and a few cable ties with a bit of silicon and its J.D

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That would look like total bodge and won't last. I have a timber attached to a concrete post, the post has holes in it just for this purpose.

9. Joey__

Joey__ Member

You could paint it and make it look nice or lean something against the post to hide the join

10. Matt Brown

Matt Brown New Member

Hi, I know this thread is a year old now, but does anybody know anything about this metal strap method or where I could buy the parts? I need to turn a 4 foot fence into a 6 foot, but as the existing posts are old concrete ones set in a huge amount of concrete so I don't want to bother digging them up (2 of them in the front garden took a mini-digger to remove...) Also don't fancy drilling them if they might crack or I might hit steel reinforcing rods.
    Simply strapping higher timbers onto the shorter concrete posts would be ideal but any advice would be greatly appreciated!