What cable do I need for my new Cooker?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sebulicious, May 9, 2017.

1. sebulicious

sebulicious New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have purchased a brand new Hotpoint HAE60KS electric cooker from Curry's.
    I was told I would need to purchase the electrical cable for it myself however I do not even know where to begin looking for the cable. I have the connection point for it on the wall with the usual LIVE, NEUTRAL & EARTH terminals.

I have contacted Hotpoint to see if they can shed any light on it but they are clueless.
    I have a friend who will install It for me but to save him time looking for the cable I thought I would just get it myself and let him install it.

Thanks in advance for all usable advice. I hope I have given enough information here to help.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Probably a length of 6mm T&E.

sebulicious likes this.
  4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Is there a circuit breaker in your consumer unit marked up as 'cooker, if so what ìs it's rating, 32a (amp).
    What is your new cooker rated at in watts or kw (kilowatts), these things at a very minimum are required before we can give any more help tbh.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cooker is rated at 10.7Kw & requires a 32A circuit breaker, according to Hotpoint specs.:)

sebulicious likes this.
  6. sebulicious

sebulicious New Member

7. sebulicious

sebulicious New Member

Hi everyone, thank you for all the great advice, at the circuit board it has a switch with "cooker" below it and says "B32" if that means anything?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A 32A type B mcb.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    sebulicious likes this.
  9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So it looks like you're cooking:rolleyes:

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Firstly I am not saying the 6mm cable is wrong - however this cooking unit can be moved to say clean around the back of it etc and of course this moves the cable and the unit cannot be classed as static. I would have thought that within regs the use of 6mm would be in question due to the limited amount of flexing it will take before the solid cpc snaps, in other words cable should be used which allows for movement. This means stranded heat resistant flexible round which as far as I know is not available in 6mm upwards.

Only an observation, and I know in reality the 6mm t and e is always used.
    As a point of note 10mm is course stranded in all conductors.

11. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

just a question at this point. The cooker is rated at 10.7Kw so by my calculation that means the maximum current in the circuit = 10700/230 = 46.5a.
    Wouldn't that mean a 50a RCB and probably 10mm2 cable?

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I would guess that the 10.7Kw rating is if all possible heating elements are on at the same time, which they never will be. You'd be hard pushed I would think to even get 32 amps draw.

Your cooker looks identical to mine except for the colour (its a Hotpoint too with ceramic hob, top oven/grill and main oven), its on a 32A MCB and had no problems. Highest current draw is when I'm starting it up, turn on the main oven and a couple of hob rings perhaps.

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Diversity.

spinlondon likes this.
  14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Indeed, the OPs cooker is black, mines white :rolleyes:

DIYDave. likes this.
  15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Now then Dr. don't play the race card!! :D

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I was always under the impression that diversity calcs do not apply to things like cookers/hobs etc?

I must be wrong

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/6.5.2.htm

10A + 30% of remainder + socket allowance of 5A.

So for a full load of 46.5A, with diversity it comes to a mere 26A

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Dr Bodge - sorry m8 I was thinking of something else, please forget my silly post, and thanks for your reply.

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well I didn't know either, until I googled it :p

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

See what you have all gonne an' done now.....you have gone and woken Sen up........:p
    RS

seneca likes this.