utterly confused with CLS timber sizes

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tehvlb, May 17, 2017.

1. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

Hi Guys

I will be doing abit more DIY work this year and as such have been looking into the cheapest place to get CLS timber in Scotland.

The problem is that i cant seem to find a consistent size for each dimension

For Example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLS-treat...Delivery-Scotland-amp-SkyeOnly-/302310692461?

https://www.shawfieldtimber.co.uk/product/83816/4-8m-length-4-x-2-cls-kd--83-x-38-

both meant to be 2x4 but both are different sizes :(

it would be good to be able to know the dimensions for any sketchup drawings i am doing prior to building.

is there an international standard or is it down to the actual timber merchant?

thanks

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

3. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

confused as heck,

so that's 3 varying sizes for 2x4 lol

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Found this when doing the loft conversion. Different places stock different sizes. If for stud wall make sure there is enough quantity so plasterboard is all flush.

If its for structural may have to use the 50x100mm size alot more meatier than the 38x89mm size.

tehvlb likes this.
  6. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

might just find the cheapest and then design based on that.

very annoying

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

if you go to many timber merchants and ask for cls stud work you will get 38x63 or 38x89

What is it you want to build ?

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Finding a good quality timber merchants at reasonable prices is the hard part. Fortunately I have Pennyhill Timber round the corner from me, so I use them...which I also like as they're local and I'm supporting local business. Its nice to wander in their yard and see what they've got :eek:

tehvlb likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

38 x83 is one the standard sizes alongside 38 x 63, these mainly intended for stud partitions but work out really cheap for a number of things. I just build a tongue and grove sideboard where the top was 38x 63 CLS with a breadboard edge

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I always understand 2" to be 50 or 51 mm with regularised being 47 mm Having a look online shows it can be 47 or 41 ... Simpson who make various hangers and such actually make them in 50, 47 and 44 mm although I have not seen 44s around here. http://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/masonry-hanger-for-solid-joists/356

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

May be this explains a bit...there is CLS and there is "SCANT". My local merchant's "CLS" is more like SCANT (whatever that is).

CLS (Canadian Lumber Standard) and Scant are timbers imported from both Canada and Europe and used for internal studding, partitions, framing etc. CLS and Scant are produced from kiln dried spruce (whitewood), planed and finished with eased edges to precise tolerances and are graded C16. Rough sawn 50mm x 47mm (2" x 2") is also widely used for both internal and external framing.

Due to planing, please note the finished sizes of CLS and Scant are much smaller than the nominal (ie pre planing) sizes. The finished size of Scant is usually larger than CLS.

CLS 75mm x 50mm (3" x 2") usually finishes at 63mm x 38mm (21/2" x 11/2") and 100mm x 50mm (4" x 2") finishes at 89mm x 38mm (31/2" x 21/2"), whilst Scant 100mm x 50mm (4" x 2") usually finishes at 94mm x 44mm (33/4" x 13/4").

12. Regularised timber is just another rip-off in the scheme of things.If you ask for 4x2 you want 4x2 sawn, not 4x2 with saw a blade thickness and more taken off it.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Quite Deleted member 11267, I was amazed that I could only get smooth regularised timber, I just wanted sawn 2" x 2" for the loft and had to pay for it to be finished and ended up with smaller timbers :mad:

14. If you ask for 2x2 sawn you would expect it to be 2x2.
    If you ask for 2x2 PAR you would expect it to be 1"3/4 x1"3/4
    They are thinning down the sizes to make more money and coming up with fancy names to try and justify it.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Cls sizes are easier to decipher if you convert them to inches, well I find that anyways, 83x38 becomes 3"1/4 x 1"1/2, though 89x38 is far more common, it's what the majority of new timber framed houses are constructed with as coupled with 11mm OSB it gives a nice easy figure of 100mm wall thickness to work with. Or a mil and a half under 4 inches :)

tehvlb likes this.
  16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Or 63mm + two sides of 18mm ply gives you 100mm or 83mm + two sides of 9.5 mm plasterboard gives you 102mm

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

3/4 ply and 3/8ths plasterboard you mean ;)

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Imperial measurements are a sore point at the moment. I have had to work off some American plans recently and boy is it painful going back to imperial. Plan measurements like 22 3/8, 16 1/4 then try and match it up to metric timber :mad:

tehvlb likes this.
  19. The time served tradesmen in this country did not ask for metrification.
    Metric measurements and sizes were forced upon us.
    Imperial measures are far superior to metric.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You aren't being serious ?

Didyeaye likes this.