Rubble tubs

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, May 28, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

After a few years most of my rubble tubs have split and lost handles.

I have been looking for replacement in my local builders merchants, our hosts and TS and the quality seems to have dropped dramatically over the last few years. None of them seem to get particularly good reviews even the original Gorilla brand seems to have cheapened of late.

Any body have any recommendations or a source ?

KIAB likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quailty is appalling lately, bought a couple of rubble tubs, they didn't last a day, even buckets are are poor & inferior nowaday, I couldn't find a decent one, ended up buying two metal galvanised buckets to clear rubble here other week at least they lasted.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have to move a jumbo bag of sand through a house and the only way is via tubs. Its going to be tedious and the last thing I want is for the handles to fail or the tubs to split whilst being carries. TS, Screwfix, Faithfull, Gorilla ones all get mixed reviews you for something as common place as rubble tubs, you would think there would be a leading brand

Labour isn't an issue both, sons finished education for the summer and so has there mother :)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All three tubs I bought one handle failed on each one, & they were only half full.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Dreadful quality and completely useless - did you take them back ?

6. The best quality trugs (is what I know them as) seem to be available at the better quality garden centres.

Better than at building supply type places

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Traditonal Trugs look like this. But when I searched for an image - rubble tubs came up:rolleyes:

upload_2017-5-28_18-47-24.png

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Normally yes, but its too difficult to get a barrow through the house. I did a dry run with a barrow and you have to rise it up to go around a 90 turn in a passage way and then left it up 1m up some steep steps.

need more tubs anyway to generally lug stuff around

10. A couple of these.
    [​IMG]

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ha ha, make sure you get some lead shoes as well:)

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My boys would really love to be seen using them

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's interesting. My sons call them trugs although I call them tubs. It turns out that the ones their grandparents use are actually called trugs and they were bought at a garden centre - one of them still has the remnants of a label in after 15+ years. Although they haven't done the volumes of heavy work that my tubs have, they do appear to be better quality. I doubt my sons have ever seen a traditional gardeners' trug like the picture earlier
    The ones I use that seem to outlast the others are Rhino tubs although I've never used gorilla tubs so can't compare like for like.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thanks had a search for rhino ones and this seems to be typical of all the brands at the moment

upload_2017-5-29_8-21-37.png

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Would doubling them up be any good for the job you've got to do? You had to do that with Tesco carrier bags before you had to pay for them! Now you just wouldn't use them unless your life depended on them.

Edit - In a similar situation (I have read you post again) I have used the smaller tubs and only half filled them but carried one in each hand. You're still shifting the same amount each time, putting less strain on the tubs and your balance is maintained.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Line large canvas Tesco bags and use 2 of them at a time.

KIAB likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Problem solved - popped into a local farm supplies place and got some animal feed tubs. The handles are substantial and a lot thicker overall a huge difference in quality to the ones in builders merchants these days. Got a selection of shallow and deep ones.

If they can withstand being kicked around by horses and pigs then should last a while

upload_2017-5-31_13-37-43.png

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Who they made by, can't quite make out the name in your photo.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Do you have to tread carefully when walking with them?