Staircase wiring - two switches, two lights.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by plasterer69, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Plasterer, with only two switches, you just ignore the intermediate one in t'middle.

(Sean only put that in to confuse us - it didn't - *cough* - work...)

Tell us what's at the new upstairs light fitting, which wires - take a photo if necessary.

2. plasterer69

plasterer69 New Member

The new upstairs light fitting is at the end of the radial and only contains a 2 core&e feed from the previous light.
    cheers.

3. Cool.

So you have power.

It's a loop-in fitting? A rose with lots of terminals?

Run yer 3 core+e betwixt the 2 switches as before. Run yer 2core+e from the top switch to your upstairs ceiling rose.

You now have everything you need at that rose to get that upstairs light working in a 2-way fashion from both switches.

Power. Switch. Light.

Wire it thus: http://lightwiring.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ceiling-rose-end-of-radial-new-colours.jpg

(Note they suggest the cable from the light switch to the rose should be 2xbrown + earth?)

Hopefully there's enough info there for you to do the job?

Good.

So all you need now is a further 2core+e to go from 1 and 7 in that rose to your downstairs light so's they both work together.

If you come on here and ask any more, I'm handing you over to Sean.

Oh, how are you gong to 'pass' this work - it ain't Part P compliant?

4. plasterer69

plasterer69 New Member

Thanks very much 'Satan' . I intend to employ an electrician to inspect and hopefully pass my work.

5. Tonyo

Tonyo New Member

Plasterer, do what I did. Buy a good book on house wiring - it's invaluable. Then use this site for clarification. The guys who answer you are fantastic.

Steve Richards and plasterer69 like this.
  6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

10 out of 10 to take the time and type out the method by all who commented

It would have been wired by now though :rolleyes:

Steve Richards likes this.
  7. Gm799

Gm799 New Member

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Or, you could use the 'cable caving' method and wire in twin & earth and sheathed singles, then you don't need the 3-core & earth :p
    [​IMG]

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

OOoops, just seen how old the OP is !! :oops:

Rulland likes this.
  10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Gm799

Welcome to the forum, but PLEASE PLEASE

1. Check the date of topics you are inputting to. That one is 4 YEARS OLD. I'm sure the poster already has it sorted by now.!!

2. Very happy to see nice diagrams that you have initiated, as fresh ideas. But it is useless to post wiring suggestions from other sites on another continent, where voltages and the way of doing things are very different.

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Or use 3C+E from ceiling to each switch and connect the two commons together using a suitable joint.

12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The diagrams and advice given above are great, but I sense Plasterer 69 is having some difficulty with the concept. This is not a good sign, I urge caution and get an electrician mate out of the trade to do it.

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Bob, the thread is from 2013. I rather hope it's sorted by now:D