Factory Restore of Vista PC

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, May 31, 2017.

1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Maybe it was an "Upgrade" version... I'm pretty sure that with previous versions of Windows you couldn't do a fresh install with an upgrade version... I thought that "problem" had gone away with Windows 10; but maybe not?

I know that doesn't help solve the problem... but maybe explain it?

Regards,

Cando

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Ahhh... so you were still within Windows when you did it?
    Well that'll be why then.
    You can't delete the Windows partition if you're using it, which you would have been.

You'll have to boot from the version that you intend to install if you want to delete the existing Windows partition.

Regards,

Cando

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake!

Get Burnaware free. Create a bootable ISO from your 7 iso and burn to disc . Boot from it. Go.

koolpc and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  4. Is it really as easy as that - using Burnaware?

5. Mr. Handyandy

Yes.

One little tip. If you make an iso of an iso, save it as a different name or you might overwrite the original. You don't want that.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. See? I knew it would get all complex... :(

Anyhoo, downloaded yer software, set fire to my files and all seemed to go smoothly - 'will try t'disc oot on t'old PC tomoz.

If it works I'll have to find you and kiss you... :oops:

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Pictures DA, "shampooing" his mates computer In't shower . :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p "That's got it nice and clean, but it won't start. :D:D:D:D

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Its the kisses he is offering people that worries me! :p

10. Mr. Handyandy

Yer. Can I retract my advice?

For heaven's sake.

11. Well, Mr Ha, you live to fore (post on forums) another day, free from the risk of a good tonguing.

I used BurnAwareFree and dragged my massif Win7 file on to it - and orf it went burning away nicely.

Stuck t'disc in to t'pooter and selected DVD as my boot-up option.

What happened then? Well, the disc span up to some mighty impressive revs and my screen said:

DSC01083.JPG

And then literally went bananas;

DSC01084.JPG

When it stopped doing stuff, and ended with an A: prompt, not knowing what to do next I entered G: ('cos that's the DVD drive in Windows) hoping to prompt it to fire up t'disc again and bluggerall happened - drive not recognised.

DSC01086.JPG

WHAT THE HELL? :(

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looks like it is trying to boot from A: drive.

Make sure CD-ROM IS SELECTED AS BOOT DRIVE.

Then press enter a few times until it says booting from disc

13. Mr. Handyandy

In DOS your drive letters won't be as you have set them. CD/DVD drive is probably B, C, or D. But you shouldn't get the floppy prompt anyway. Did you try again? After shut down, not from restarting.
    Did you see Burnaware expand your 7 iso?
    And don't drag. Select to open.

14. Cheers, Kools.

Sadly, I don't think it's that.

I do choose DVD (the only two options are HDD and CD/DVD - there's no floppy) and DVD drive fires up and the screen says 'Starting MS-DOS.

You can see from the second photo it goes to CD-ROM device driver and 'banana' whatever the hell that is.

When it finally stops with the A: prompt, I have tried b, c, d, e, f, g, h - you get the idea. All return 'not a valid drive'.

What the?

15. I did 'drag' the file to BurnAware as it basically asked to (I always do as I'm told...)

So I should start up BurnAware and then use 'open file' on it to locate my Win7?

btiw2 likes this.
  16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Keep pressing enter as soon as you hear the drive start up

Could be that the ISO did not burn properly!

btiw2 likes this.
  17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Make sure you select the actual iso file in the folder and image that to the dvd

18. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

It sounds like it's not a bootable DVD (it has the files but not the boot sector).

Did you just burn the files or did you do this:
    http://www.burnaware.com/help/boot-disc.html

Note I've never used that software (I use Alex Feinman's burner) so that's a guess.

19. Sigh - tried again.

Opened BurnAware - it has no 'file open' options to add stuff, it chust says drag files.

Double-checked the Win 7 I put on earlier - double-clicked on that first and it said 'unzip'... Hmm, thought I - did I stick an unzipped file on to BurnAware?!

No, unzipped, and then dragged all the files in Win7 - in the same order - on to BA, and then burned the damned thing.

Went smoothly.

Tried to boot from DVD on the old machine with this disc in it - and barlocks, the same thing: MS-DOS, then BANANAS :(

20. I didn't do 3 - I simply dragged all the files over on to the BurnAware.

These files, chust as they are:

File list.png