Used Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Lv cabins seem good value, might save a 1k or so maybe? But how you value your time?

EDIT: are you talking about putting together a prebuilt one or building from scratch?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

From scratch

3. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Just the time.. might be cheaper but happy with LC cabins prices.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I will be insulating both floor and roof, but my floor will be the sub frame made of 4x2 with 50mm celotex in between.

Silly idea of building your own frankly, gawd knows how much cutting would be involved and sourcing the timber etc.

snappyfish likes this.
  5. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

How are you going to insulate your roof? on the top or inside the roof? I have ordered now it's due in July.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

50mm PIR on top, then 18mm marine ply. Then EPDM.

7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Done any research on prices for this lot?

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

My cabin is delivered on Wednesday and should get the sub-frame pretty well completed this weekend (once I have the cabin timbers to take accurate measurements from, don't want to rely on the drawings!). Will post some pics then on my project thread so you can see what the sub frame looks like.

10. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Needing Celotex
    I'm going to leave insulation in roof also, standard felt is on now when I come to insulate roof can I just batten roof edge add celotex over existing felt, ply then shingle or EDPM?

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You could put the insulation over the felt I guess, but I would rather remove it. That won't take long.

12. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

So as we have had some rain recently and I have the log cabin up, no floor in yet I can see the effect of having concrete base larger than cabin base. Water sits and soaks under floor bearers, not extreme just a little damp in some areas, guess I want it as dry as poss and rightly so...

I've got the 9" angle grinder out I am cutting down into concrete as close to bearers as I can, going in at a slight angle so I don't hit cabin then going in sideways so cutting chunks of concrete away. It's a little rough and also long winded.

I plan to put an edge about 12" from cabin all around and fill with pea shingle so shingle sites a couple of inches below the height of bearers. Am I doing the correct thing here?

[​IMG]

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You'll thank yourself in a few years time for all this work trimming the concrete base. Good to do it now before the floor goes in so everything can dry out.

I trust that concrete dust will come off the cabin walls easily!

Pea shingle all round is a great idea, wise to put some weed membrane down first.

KIAB likes this.
  14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Strange you mention that I hosed down the side of the cabin as it started to rain and couldn't continue with grinder... today when it dried I noticed it's still covered in grey dust will need to get a sponge out Tuesday morning to get it off.

It's a really tricky job this, I reckon there's a 5mm lip off concrete left trying to get as close as poss.

15. If you have any concerns about vulnerable timber, then wait until it's dry and give it a darned good soaking with Everbuild Lumberjack wood preserver.

snappyfish likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you got access for the grinder, just bevel the 5mm concrete lip, as long as it fairly sharp angle,water will run off.

snappyfish likes this.
  17. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Thanks, I will try something like this. sometimes things don't go to plan, my new angle grinder second day of use. It's dead :(

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  19. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Right, borrowed a friends grinder to keep me going today. The area to cut is about 5.5x4m managed on one 5.5m side only and my diamond disc is dead

I used this Erbauer disc £12.99 it cut well was impressed but it's now making the job difficult.

Can anyone recommend a disc that will do the whole job and last longer or should I just go buy a couple or three of the Erbauer discs?

Thanks

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, but not stocked by our host.:(