18mm hardwood ply

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mrppp, Jun 27, 2017.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I have 75x225 C24 joists at 400mm spacing, will 18mm ply be ok for floors in bedroom?

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Yes it would, but unless you have a particularly large bedroom moving up to 25 would give a far better job and not add much in real terms to the cost. Personally T&G would be a better solution again as you will need nogins where the cross joins in the plywood are

Is this replacement for something or a new build, do you need to match floor levels?

3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

this is all new but do need to get close to existing floor that has 20mm floor boards. T&G ply?

4. Carry on and match existing floor boards with either tongue and grooved or square edged.
    It is a far superior job compared to sheet materials on the floor.

5. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Can you expand T&G chipboard? square edge chipboard?

6. Softwood red or white pine 6" floor boards.
    In my opinion chipboard floors are just cheap and nasty.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Go for T&G floorboards. Avoid chipboard totally.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Far superior.

9. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

So standard T&G floorboards screwed, or just go for square edge so can be lifted in future if needed? have about 44m2 to do

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I have just boarded a 17'x13' room and I was surprised how little difference there was between T&G boards and chipboard when I priced up at my local merchant, particularly after you factor in the glue needed for the chip floor. Boards were only about £30 dearer than standard chip and same price as moisture resistant, so by my reckoning it will cost you max £50-60 more to use boards, and will be a much better job.

11. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Just reading on TP website re boards it says "Due to the machining process, this product's finished dimensions will be smaller than the nominal sizes stated. Typically, 5 to 6mm less on the thickness and 5 to 8mm on width" that is a big difference on a 18mm floor board or am i interpreting this wrong?

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You buy 6"x1" boards - they will be approximately 140-145mm wide plus a 5mm tongue and 18-20 mm thick. The reason is that the boards are sawn at 1" thick and then planed down to get the smooth faces which takes about 3mm off each side.

Go for T&G then where you think you may need access, trim the bottom piece off below the groove, so you end up with the top piece over the groove and the tongue which gives the dust seal.

You will need to hire flooring clamps to tighten them up before screwing, and if you have access to one, use one of my favourite tools, a collated screw gun which will allow you to get 20 screws in a single board inserted in a minute or so!

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had a load of T&G floorboards from a sawmill a few years ago,was actually offered a variety thicknesses up to 25mm, which was perfect & able to match exsisting boards.
    Got some T&G last month from local timber merchant & all they could offer was a thickness of 20mm for the T&G floorboard, ended using packers to match exsisting floor level.:(

15. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

So with the T&G do you still need to cut them to land on a joist or can they go over so ends are not actually fixed on joist? Need to figure out how many i need now

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Land them on a joist, saves no end of grief and creaks later on.

mrppp likes this.
  17. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Big difference in price on my findings around £1600 compared to £600 with ply sheets

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I personally don't have any issues with using chipboard as a flooring material, cheap and readily available, tongued and grooved, 2.4mx0.6m, P5 (water resistant), 22mm thick but as your joists are spaced at 400's 18mm will be fine. The main thing is to check the moisture content of your joists before you lay the sheets, as if they're saturated then you may have squeaks later down the line. I use a polyurethane glue (D4, Gator glue, joiners mate, etc) and glue the joists and the tongues of each sheet you lay, screw down with 65mm(ish) full thread screws and its never going anywhere. In an ideal world it would be nice to go back to traditional timber for most things, but if you're carpeting over the top then it really doesn't matter.

19. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

shop around then. At my merchant floorboards are ~£9sqm, (check the link above) chip is about £6sqm and moisture proof chip about £9 as well.

on pollowick's recommendation mine too!

You will certainly need clamps. You can improvise. I have a couple of bar clamps which also expand http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-12-quick-change-bar-clamps/86306, so a g clamp over the joist to push against and the bar clamp clamped the boards tight.

Pollowick likes this.
  20. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

i best hire a big van and drive up to Lancashire then at those prices