18mm hardwood ply

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mrppp, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You have 44 sq M - so to allow for waste say 50 sq M. With 6" boards there are 7 in a metre of width which means you will need 50x7 linear metres which is 350 linear metres. You should be able to source it from a decent timer merchant at around £1.50 to £1.80 per metre inc VAT. That works out at £525 to £630 with plenty of spare.

Having a look around - http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/tongue-groove-flooring-22mm-x-150mm-sold-per-metre.html is £1.57 inc.

And make sure you visit and see the quality before you order.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Builderdepot.co.uk 18mm t+g chipboard p5 £7.68 a sheet Inc vat, 44m you need 31 sheets, add 10% if needed for waste, 34 sheets, equals £261.12 if my dubious maths is correct.

longboat likes this.
  3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I would never use chipboard, I was originally looking at 18mm plywood, TP do
    Redwood Tongue and Grooved Flooring Standard Flooring 20.5mm x 144mm at £920 +vat ( 350 linear metres) doing in ply 16 sheets £480

4. Pollowick

You should be able to get a good discount on those TP prices as a starter.

Where in the country are you?

5. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Home Counties near Windsor

6. Pollowick

Have sent you a message with a possible supplier to call.

mrppp likes this.
  7. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

When fitting these is it one screw per joist per board or do you put two screws in a board on each joist? (floor boards)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've seen peeps rip down 25mm ply to use as floorboards,& some using 15mm or 18mm sheets again ripped down & laid over a concrete floor, some finishes looked darn good.

upload_2017-6-28_8-38-7.jpeg

9. Pollowick

TWO ... just make sure you know exactly where any pipes and cables are.

mrppp likes this.
  10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

44sqm is a lot of screws - prob not far off 2000. If you use a cordless and set the torque your wrist will know about it at the end as every screw puts a little twist on it. One of the best reasons to buy/hire a collated screw gun - they are depth adjusted not torque adjusted - no wrist strain.

Also DO make sure you use flooring screws. These will have either a plain shank (no thread) under the head, or sometimes a short extra thread at a different pitch. If you use a fully threaded screw the boards will not pull down tight and will creak.

Attached Files:

Joe95, Pollowick, mrppp and 1 other person like this.
  11. Pollowick

With
    around 310 to 320 linear metres to install, at 400 centres there will be around 6-7 screws per metre to allow for ends and joins which suggests 1860 to 2240 screws which ties in with your estimate Mr R.

Only when you have used a collated screw gun do you really appreciate the benefits - time, speed, consistency, fatigue, blisters, sprains ... I can probably insert 100 collated screws in the time it takes to do 10 with a normal electric screwdriver - ad they will all be at 0.5 mm below the surface.

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Ain't that the truth!! :p

13. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I best factor in getting one then

14. Pollowick

Mr R can provide a link to his good value budget one! Or the one I have is a Fein M-gun at around £250

15. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Any link appreciated for one suitable to screw in 18 or 25mm boards

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I just had a look and there don't seem to be any left :(. When I got mine there were a load of discontinued Senco DS275AC (mains) on ebay at £80-90 . Old model >3 years out of date but works just fine. Only issue with this particular model is that the bits are an odd/unique size and you have to hunt them down. (I have a stock now that will see me good.) I wouldn't buy a cordless version of this model even if you find one - too old - the batteries won't be fresh.

I'm pretty sure all the drivers will be suitable for floorboards. Mine takes from 35mm to 75mm screws - I've been using 35mm for PB and 55mm for boards

best prices I can see are

http://www.kelvinpowertools.com/senco-ds5525-auto-feed-screwdriver-c-36-p-8235

or

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/mak...bNgt543kYrEoyamSvaIJ57id4Xdqw_TqDkaAkKY8P8HAQ

17. Pollowick

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1 for Timco - perfect for the job

19. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

And what driver will be suited for these?

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member