18mm hardwood ply

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mrppp, Jun 27, 2017.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

So about 3000 00055COLLF screws, the boards, a driver, and lots of old carpet to protect while plastering, getting there lol

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

There is no reason why you can't fit 44sqm boards using just a cordless drill/driver, even if it is much slower than using a collated driver, and your wrist will take a pounding - I discovered this when I did my old mans decking - I didn't know about collated drivers then!. The way I work when I do DIY is that I factor in the right tool for the job and still save ££s over getting someone in. Some jobs you have to use tradesmen - electrics gas, but for others just having the right tools makes all the difference, and you have them for the next job then. It's a good excuse for SWMBO when you want a new toy as well :p

3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

always up for getting new toys

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops:

Forgot to mention that.:rolleyes:

6. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

so what driver will take those screws and the
    Timco Square Driver Bits - No.2

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If you use a cordless you just buy the short square head bits. If you get a collated driver they will ALL be able to use square driver bits. You may or may not get one in the kit but they are readily available.

mrppp likes this.
  8. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

oh ok so collated drivers will take different bits

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Yes. No problem. Bits need changing as they wear as well although I find they last well.

10. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I used to have the cordless version of this, very good, but extremely frustrating when it jams, as the design of the nose is c.rap, tricky to get a jammed screw out especially if you've pumped it more than once, and the rubber on the end falls off after a while, but for the money it's a decent buy.

12. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

What would you recommend to get? Ideally one that can take screws for flooring 22mm boards and do stud work, would one that takes 45-75mm screws do or are 100mm needed for studwork

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

All depends on your budget and potential usage mate. Or get one with a good resale value on ebay perhaps. 100mm are not needed for studwork, 75s are fine, though to be honest I would think it rather cumbersome to build studding with one. Hilti seems to be the best though the money is astronomical, I own a festool and am a bit disappointed with it for the money to be honest, I'm told by a work mate that he favours his dewalt model, though I personally can't comment. Why don't you pop in to your local power tool supplier/shed and ask for a demonstration?

14. Pollowick

I use a FEIN M-gun the current model is the SCT 5-40 M but you will need to call Fein technical to make sure you can get the square tip bits from them or elsewhere. Get Fein to confirm the length. They also do an extension kit than allows you to do a floor whilst standing the M55 magazine extension,

Stick with the 55mm screws for the floor and I believe most driver will not handle longer.

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

My Senco will take 75mm screws. It's an old model. Some senco's only take 55, I guess there must be a new model that also takes 75mm. I've nothing but good to say about mine but there again my experience is fairly new - a few ceilings and a floor so far. You can def get the sq drives for Senco.

16. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

So going to order a driver, choice is a
    Senco Duraspin DS5525,Fein SCT 5-40 M
    or the MAKITA 6843 AUTOFEED SCREWDRIVER. I assume all will take the
    TIMco 00055COLLF screws?

17. Pollowick

I don't like the Makita.

The Fein is a great tool - however searching their website does not bring up a suitable tip for the Timco screws #2 Sq Drive. There may be ones which fit but without exact dimensions it is difficult to say.

Senco - rated by Mr R do have a Sq drive tip: http://www.senco-emea.com/product/4528/sq2-bit-duraspin-ds5550acdc-ds5525acdc-blister-pack and others listed under accessories http://www.senco-emea.com/product/3000/ds5525-ac-duraspin-screwdriver-230v.

Have a think about the ExTPro http://www.senco-emea.com/product/17877/duraspin-extpro which will let you do the work standing up - so great for floors.

18. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

So the screw reels TIMco 00055COLLF screws are universal to all then,

19. Pollowick

I believe that most collated screws are on the same pitch and the holder strip designed to work with most drivers ... I have used several different brands including Fein own brand, Screwfix, B&Q (different) and others without an issue. Giving TIMco a ring on Monday to check: 01829 261 111 and then maybe Senco.

20. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Thanks, thrown a few emails over see what they say