Touching up small scratch on car

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Brudy good idea. :) or similar company.:cool:

2. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Doing stuff for yourself is fun though :)

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Of course it is, but sometimes you just have to think, how much will it cost me in stuff I'm never going to use again.

4. P J Thompson

You do granted....but :D

The materials for this job would likely be about £30. Plus about 2 hours all in if you take it easy.
    If you drive you will get scratches and you'll also no doubt get stone chips so the brush, paint and laquer will likely have a chance again down the line too.....plus, the Meguiers is really good on electric guitar buckle rash :D
    The flexible filler may struggle to find another use but it's a fiver.

If you bung someone £60, you had no fun and are left with nothing other than one sorted scratch....

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

True enough and to be fair I'm in your line of thinking, but if someone had to ask in the first place, they probably ain't. :D:D

6. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

I am thinking of getting the alloys done also.

I got the car from an auction and the previous owner has damaged the alloys.

Don't think I could do the alloys myself, as you need to strip off the wheels to repair the alloys.

If I just repair the small dink, I will go down the DIY route. If I get the alloys done also, will get a pro.

7. P J Thompson

You don't need to take the tyres off.
    Let air out
    Put wheel in a bin bag, face side up.
    Get a credit card and wedge the open edge of the bin bag between tyre bead and wheel rim lip all the way around - one fully masked tyre.
    Do any filling/painting.
    Remove bin bag.
    Reinflate tyre.
    Job done :)

WillyEckerslike and Iron_Mike like this.
  8. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers PJ

9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Had to replace the fuel flap and it comes unpainted.

Am I ok just using the rattle can spray on fuel flap. It is only plastic. Or do I need to prime it with something first?

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Usually. If its black plastic, then you'll need a lighter primer designed for plastic. Ideally, get some panel wipe to degrease it before you start, key it up with a scotchbrite pad (they look like green scouring pads), degrease again, tack off with a tack rag to get any dust off, then carefully lay on your basecoat, making sure the edge are coated. Finish off with clear lacquer.

Alternatively, just whack the paint on and hope for the best :)

Iron_Mike likes this.
  11. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers for the advice. It is a white plastic and it is being sprayed a metallic blue colour.

So the colour change is not huge.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ah, OK. May still need to prime. Prob be worth going to a local car paint factors and show them, they'll tell you exactly what you need. If you take the car, most will be able to mix and match the color and pop it in a spray can too.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  13. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Thanks I will go to Chips Away and see what they say.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just watch the colour of the undercoat you use. Will affect the finished colour.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Chips away quoted me £250 to sort this minor dent and paint the fuel cap. Ridiculous.

Will do this myself.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you have any luck with 'Paintz'? ( Google there Website)

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ridiculous indeed Mike. There are independent smart repairers, might be worth a shot?