New Solid Oak Table - which Oil should I use?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Raul B, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Raul B

Raul B Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Raul B

Raul B Member

what's wrong with Danish oil???

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Old school, better products available such as KIAB has suggested.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My finish is microporous, will allow the timber to breathe.:)
    Some Danish oil is microporous, another minus point, Danish Oil needs to be reapplied at least,yearly, you need up to 5 coats depending on the timber for a finish, any chips to the finish which need to be repaired needs the oil to be blend in in to match exsisting finish.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  6. Raul B

Raul B Member

Where would I purchase this from - in terms of retail stores?
    I need the "TopOil" right?
    I'm guessing MATT look will be best for my table?

3058 CLEAR, MATT
    The emphasis on the wood's grain and natural characteristics provides a warm and rich effect without a sheen.

3028 CLEAR, SATIN
    The subtle, noble shimmer resembles satin and emphasises the wood grain modestly.

3068 NATURAL
    For an almost completely natural look. Retains the wood's light character with optimally balanced white pigments.

Screwfix only have the following;
    http://www.screwfix.com/c/decorating/wood-oil/cat850452#category=cat850452&brand=osmo&sort_by=price

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Raul B

Raul B Member

I need the "TopOil" right?
    I'm guessing MATT look will be best for my table?

3058 CLEAR, MATT
    The emphasis on the wood's grain and natural characteristics provides a warm and rich effect without a sheen.

3028 CLEAR, SATIN
    The subtle, noble shimmer resembles satin and emphasises the wood grain modestly.

3068 NATURAL
    For an almost completely natural look. Retains the wood's light character with optimally balanced white pigments.

9. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I put clear satin onto my walnut worktop, like the finish. It brought up the grain nicely without being gloss.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Raul B

Raul B Member

Where did you buy from and how large of a tin will I need to buy? My table is W160 x D85cm

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Got it from wood finishes direct. The 500ml tin will be more than enough. I did 1800*950 and still have some left after 3 coats both sides.

12. Tasher87

Tasher87 New Member

It should be natural oil with good reviews. When I need oils I just order them online here oils. You can also check this online store. Wide range of oils and reviews section. So you can read all the information before purchasing it. They also have customer support, so feel free to ask questions