Primer for Self Levelling Floor Compound

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by fred812, Jun 21, 2017.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Fred

Not actually used it myself (yet) but looking to level my garage floor so done a little research

Wickes sell 'Setcrete Floor Leveling Primer' , which seal porous, dusty surfaces prior to pouring the levelling compound

Around £12 I remember but will probably be way too much quantity for your small area but ........

Don't ever be tempted to use PVA ...... may well end in tears mate :eek:

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the advice, certainly saved the day cos it would have been PVA !!

5. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Spotted this while following your link.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/KA-SBR-Bond-1L/p/139061

Bit cheaper and only need a small quantity. Looks like it will do the job. Says it can be added to screeds or applied as a bonding agent.

Am I missing something daft?

Kreg92 likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Perfect, dilute at 3 to 1 or 4 to 1, I didn't recommend SBR, as usually it's on comes in 5ltr can, & couldn't find in a smaller amount, good to see Wickes doing a 1ltr can.
    The great thing with using SBR is it doesn't re-emulsify like PVA wet you wet it.

Kreg92 likes this.
  7. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the advice KIAB.

I can't see any instructions, do you just know about the dilution from previous use of something similar?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use it for years,leveling compound at previous place was down for years,& still is, & never lifted, here it's be down seven years.

Depending on the suction of the surface you can vary the dilution rate up to 8 to 1 if it's a porous surface, usually one coat is enough, but you can let it dry & apply a second if need be.
    Regardless of brand of SBR, I dilute I as see fit for the job.

Found a linky. http://www.chilternslurry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Technical-Data-SBR1.pdf

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  9. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Normally I'd just use a standard acrylic primer but SBR will definitely do the trick; just get your levelling compound down whilst the SBR is still tacky to the touch

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Difficult finding acrylic primer in 1ltr can,only know of Topps Tiles selling it, but Wickes 1ltr SBR is half the price.

11. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

True, I didnt think of that. I usually just get 5ltr tubs as they'll get used up on other jobs eventually.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same here.

Trouble is a lot of additives are 5ltrs & geared up for trade use, I think firms like Everbuild are missing a niche in the market not doing say 2.5ltr, even 1 ltr can of products like 204 Evermix 3 in 1 or 406 Stabilishing Solution for diyer's.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  13. mattpaints

mattpaints New Member

Evening all. First-time poster

Can I double-check I'm getting this right?

I have a VERY dusty workshop floor that I want to seal and level.

If I'm understanding the post correctly, I use this stuff first http://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-Hi...ling-Primer-2-5L/p/154148#tab-reviews_content and then put this stuff on top, ideally while the primer is still wet http://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-Deep-Base-Floor-Levelling-Compound-20kg/p/133780.

It's proving impossible to clean the surface prior to priming as any sweeping just lifts more cement dust - will that be a problem? Any tips for getting round this?

I'm not going to be adding any vinyl or carpet, so I'm just hoping that this stuff will work ok as a wearing layer.

Thanks
    matt

14. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

If the floor is really bad I would look to use something like Everbuild's "Concrete Hardener and Dust-proofer", the down-side being that you need to wait another 28 days before primering and screeding.

KIAB likes this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The majority of levelling compounds are for simply er, well, um, levelling and are not recommended to be used as the finished layer

Strongly advise that you check all product details regarding this point to check suitability

Could always go over compound with T&G chip flooring or OSB 3, then a couple coats of floor paint if you want. Any suspicion of damp from floor then add a poly membrane

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you want a levelling compound as a wearing surface, then a industrial floor screed which needs to be polymer resin based, not latex based.
    A polymer resin screed will give you a very hard surface and can be applied to only 3mm thick if required.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How large is the area.

Regardless of levelling compound, most surfaces need to be dust free before it's layed.

18. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

20. mattpaints

mattpaints New Member

That looks like just the job - thanks very much KIAB.

So... Current thoughts are to use Everbuild's "Concrete Hardener and Dust-proofer" first to contain the dust, as suggested by Rob_bv. Leave for 4 weeks.

Then some acrylic primer, then the SLC2000 same day. The area is 18m sq.

Thanks folks. Really useful info

KIAB likes this.