As Dawkins said this morn.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Jul 28, 2017.

1. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I think you're chatting s**** in a continued effort to defend the indefensible.

2. Filly's daft post was in response to my post to you.

He tried to 'get in there'.

So why is my 'defend' comment unreasonable? You are back to avoidance again. :(:(:( (yes - that's three times as bad.)

3. P J Thompson

I have nothing to defend.
    Does that help?
    :D

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Lionel messi

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Sparkielev

it surely depends on the victim and how they react both would as bad as each other

6. So it is no longer how heinous an actual crime is, but how the victim reacts?

You'd use each victim's reaction to determine the punishment in each case?

Really?

7. Sparkielev

No as I said they both heinous acts and not comparable but each victim will act different to each crime

8. P J Thompson

Yet another mahoosive strawman alert!

It's as if you think every one is so dumb that you can wrap them up in your own inventions at will.
    Come on DA, this is really really poor stuff.

9. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Just stop DA.

Humans are have two characteristics: our sapience - our ability to think and reason, and our sentience - our ability to feel and empathise.

Are there levels of how heinous awful crimes are?
    Using reason, yes.
    We have courts of law where judges, on a case-by-case basis, can determine the abhorrence of different crimes.
    But in summing up a judge will talk about the ways in which a crime is abominable - not find reasons to say why it isn't as bad as a case he heard last week.

Dawkins has a stage. His words matter.
    Can you not see how he appears to minimise certain crimes when he contrasts them with others?

God knows I like numbers and ranking things. I practically Asperger's when it comes to that sort of stuff.
    But even I, with my poor social skills, know that you never put the adjective "mild" in front of "paedophilia".
    I mean seriously. Did this have to be said?

And to suggest that someone is immoral if they don't abort a fetus with down syndrome? How does someone say that without causing pain to thousands of people?
    You normally need to be a church leader to be that insensitive to the plight of people in difficult circumstance.

So, just stop, stop and forget that it was Dawkins that said it.
    Use your sentience, your empathy.
    Put yourself in the shoes of a victim of one the crimes he mentioned.
    Put yourself in the shoes of someone who is raising a child with down syndrome.

Imagine how it would feel when a respected Oxford University professor says those things.

And why did he say them? So he could end with the punchline that people "need to go away, and learn how to think".

Dunno, maybe I do need to learn how to think. I know I'm not as smart as Richard Dawkins.

What's certain though is that Richard Dawkins needs to "go away, and learn how to feel".

Maybe you do too.

10. P J Thompson

Dawkins has shown a complete lack of empathy in the comments he has made and that should worry folk.
    Without empathy you are in the realms of the psychopath.
    It matters not whether he is right or wrong about the subjects he has spoke of that we're talking about, what matters is that he exhibited a complete lack of thought for the consequences of his words on real people. He didn't stop to consider these things in his rush to be cleverer than thou and to teach others how to think and be moral.
    And he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes...

And in this thread we have this person, who has also expressed a totally undemocratic view of referenda, being held up as some kind of beacon of intellectual excellence.....

In fact the very idea he spoke of on R4 was to put intellect before emotion and gut instinct wasn't it? True to form then at least.

A zealous, arrogant, robotic, undemocratic and nasty piece of work....

Yes, a real sweetheart.

fillyboy likes this.
  11. P J Thompson

He attempted to defend this position with some pseudo intellectual guff about saying that not aborting a fetus that's been tested positive for Down's is immoral doesn't mean that he's saying living people with Down's should have been aborted.....

Was anyone fooled by this lame effort?

Of course, if you say it's immoral not to abort you are saying that anyone who 'lets' the pregnancy go full term and who gave birth to a person with Down's, is immoral.
    This is quite definitely a sequitir. The one most definitely follows on from the other. And this is from a supposedly awesome brain???
    And where does Dawkins draw the line exactly? What level of discovered disability would not be immoral to go un-aborted?

Very vague on that one Mr Dawkins. Very vague. You ran your mouth without thinking it through? Or you really do hold eugenicist ideas? Are there other options?

12. NC500

NC500 New Member

Exactly :)

13. I couldn't disagree more.

14. P J Thompson

Yes, you've made that clear for all to see.
    Disappointing.

15. NC500

NC500 New Member

Taxi for btiw2 :oops: yesterday would be good.

16. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

That's it? That's your defence?
    Fair enough.
    It's not like I have subpoena powers.

Not to worry. I'm used to Harry's one sentence responses when he refuses to defend indefensible remarks.

So let's put your reticence down to the beast in you eh?

It turns out you were right and I was wrong and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I do judge.

Hello NC500 are you lost? Do you need directions to the youtube comments section, or maybe you're looking for your facebook friends?

17. NC500

NC500 New Member

Not all who wander are lost ;)

18. NC500

NC500 New Member

I still reckon that winky face is the wrong way round :(

Have a word, Pete!

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Is that like when you look at yourself in the mirror each morning then? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. I find it very hard to believe you are being serious.