Solvent Weld for PVC cladding?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by cuppatea, Aug 7, 2017.

1. cuppatea

cuppatea New Member

Hi everyone, hope this is the right forum for this question;
    I am preparing to install PVC cladding boards onto 3 walls of a shower. They are lightweight hollow PVC boards, a material similar to Correx but with a decorative face. They are 250mm wide and join together with a tongue and groove type edge joint. I have been told to use a bead of silicone in the joint for a waterproof seal, but it occurred to me that Solvent Weld might work to create a really permanent joint, effectively creating a single sheet. Has anyone tried this? I think it would work really well!

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You need to do as makers instructions . Silicon makes waterproof seal, solvent adhesive won't.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a silicon will allow some flex,whereas a solvent adhesive won't.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exactly................you beat me to it KIAB! :D

KIAB likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Would be a nightmare to try and position large sheets of pvc after gluing trims / seals with solvent weld as it acts like a grab adhesive

You would only have what, 5-10 seconds to get boards perfect before the tears would start to flow :eek:

Plus nullifying any manufacturers gaurentees on materials and installation guides

Don't do it
    Bad idea
    Stick to recommended trims and sili

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  6. Doall

Doall Active Member

Tbh I've fitted hundreads of those sheets and I only silicon the panels in the wet area. I also find it's harder to try get a seamless join once silicon has been put in the joint so to speak.

7. cuppatea

cuppatea New Member

general thumbs down then, despite nobody having ever tried it. i'll let you know how it goes.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You might think that, well, solvent weld seals pipes from water, so....

.....but the cladding may be a different composition pvc to the pipework, and so might not work as expected.

Apart from that, I would expect the silicone to be beaded down the backflap of the previous board, not directly into the groove, the next board placed on top of the silicone, then pushed in(not pushing the silicone into the groove).

9. cuppatea

cuppatea New Member

So I actually just tried this and it works very well. Just make sure to use a liberal amount of solvent weld, on the back flap and back part of the groove, and also on the corresponding surfaces on the back of the tongue. I had no issues with it bonding too quickly, no problem with lack of 'flex' (whatever that's supposed to mean) and the finished joints were very tight and looked good. The bond was very difficult to pull apart. I have not tested for water-tightness but I am confident it's a continuous weld. I think it would be a good idea ,where possible, to use this method to make complete panels before fitting to the wall. You're welcome.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just to emphasise the meaning of 'flex' in this application.
    It has nothing to do with the time of fixing or at the fixing stage.
    It means once dry and set, any movement in the panels(expansion/contraction) will affect the joint sealer(in your case the glue) and where silicone will move (flex) with the boards and not come unstuck, the harder compound of the glue may not 'flex' and so crack and de-adhere, breaking the seal.

11. cuppatea

cuppatea New Member

HandyAndy I think you don't understand how solvent weld works. It's not glue. It's a solvent which melts the pvc slightly, allowing the two surfaces to merge into one another. As the solvent evaporates, the PVC turns solid again. None of the compound remains. All that is left is PVC which has the exact same amount of 'flex' as the original boards. It will expand and contract at the same rate. Also if your walls are expanding and contracting that much you should be worried. The joins I created were so strong I was not able to pull them apart at all. The board tore before the joint did.
    I stated that I had no problem with it bonding too quickly in response to DIY Dave's claim that solvent weld acts like grab adhesive. It does not. It was not a nightmare and the tears did not start to flow. In fact you have about 2 minutes to get the joint right which is plenty if you are not cack-handed.
    My method also allows the installer to prefabricate entire panels on a flat surface and cut them to size prior to fixing to the wall. This could be very useful in many situations, particularly for awkward shapes which need to be scribed or templated.

Everybody knows that silicone is not 100% reliable and can deteriorate over time. I have come up with an alternative which I have tested and found to work. I am saddened that, having only just joined the forum, I bring a valid contribution which others could use, only to be told basically 'it won't work, read the instructions'. Nobody had anything positive to say and nobody considered testing the idea before denouncing it. If all newcomers to the forum receive this kind of welcome, it is no surprise to me that those who remain are the unimaginative kind of knucklehead who like to criticize other peoples ideas because they have none of their own.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Oh for heavens sake!

Personally I would use silicone outside as it allows for flex between panels. But solvent weld should work fine if the panels are not going to move relative to each other.

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Mr HA could be an "unimaginative kind of knucklehead" given how many knuckles he must surely have :rolleyes:

14. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Tbh cuppa, not all new members are going to react to the opinions freely offered in response to their request for others' views in the way that you have are they....maybe a hint of attitude from your good self?

As for your idea? Maybe ring the manufacturer and get their thoughts regarding things like warranties? They may back your idea up.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm only diy so haven't used gallons of solvent weld adhesive but when I have used it, and several makes, you don't have anything like 2 minutes working time once you've applied the gunge to both surfaces

You don't have a single minute - the joint is formed rock solid after a few seconds

2 minutes working time, what adhesive are you using out of interest

16. cuppatea

cuppatea New Member

Floplast solvent cement from Screwfix. Try it for yourself. Sorry if people think my attitude is off, but this is not the first forum I have visited where the longer-time members like to rubbish new ideas. I have been in the construction industry all my life so it ticks me off to be talked down to by DIYers.
    PJ Thompson, my original post asked 'Has anyone tried this?' I was interested in actual experience, not for views about whether it 'might' work. I have contacted the manufacturer and am awaiting a response.

17. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Anyway...... Welcome to the forum :)

It'll be interesting to hear/read what the manufacturer has to say :)

PhilSo likes this.
  18. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Welcome Cuppatea.
    I'm quite new here myself.
    I like lateral thinking.
    Even more I like lateral 'doing'
    Pleased it's been successful.

Regards Phil. :)

19. Doall

Doall Active Member

The result is interesting I've black marble panelling to do tomorrow will try it with off cuts thankyou
    Regards david

PhilSo likes this.
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Your attitude is off, you're quite correct, people weren't trying to rubbish your ideas at all, they were trying to save you the potential grief of having to redo your work if it turned out to be a bodge, which it still yet may so I wouldn't be crowing too much yet. If you've been in the construction industry all your life why did you feel the need to come on a tradesmens forum and ask opinions if you had no intention of following any advice? There's a hell of a lot of professional construction advice and experience on this site, hardly what you implied "unimaginitive knuckleheads."

If you look back on this thread you'll see the only one who had a poor attitude or talked down to people was you. Please do inform us of the manufacturers response, as we are all still learning, and every days a school day.

KIAB likes this.