got power to lights but not working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pgurnz, Aug 12, 2017.

1. pgurnz

pgurnz New Member

hi i have 2 cables going into a double switch in hallway i only need 1 switch for ceiling lights i cut the cable put one in a block (not used) and joined the other cable that goes down to the switch i have live neutral earth put them in a block and replaced the wire to a switch i have power to the switch and to the lights but the lights arnt turning on.
    from the wire i joined from neutral in a small block in the back of switch goes back up to the light. brown live to com and back out to lights. i have power to lights not turning on.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

so we're you just changing a two gang switch for a single one? your post is not very clear on exactly what you have done, but you will need a multimeter to work out the solution, or call in a pro.

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Sparks time me old mucker

I wouldnt want to instruct you to go about messing with your light switch as you seem incompetent

Get sparks in, reckon on £80.00 to sort if its just at the switch

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Maybe the geezers cut the wrong wires

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Hi, welcome to the real world. Did you take a photo before you started so that if you mess it up you can put it back how it was? I am a retired electrician, but I would not try to remove my own appendix, I would get a professional in. I think you need to try to put it back as it was before you started and get it working again. What did your wife say?

DIYDave. likes this.
  6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

she told him to do it ...lol...just after he said "I don't need a b8888Y electrician to change a light switch" !
    lol
    RS

KIAB and seneca like this.
  7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

His trusty neon screwdriver told him it was live !!

KIAB likes this.
  9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never use one & would never trust one!

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

You get neon screwdrivers free sometimes Mr K - there is a neon screwdriver in my tote, and a neon screwdriver in my electrical tool box, they come in very handy sometimes. However they are only to be used when indicated, some scenarios dictate that testers must be deployed..:)

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I do have several of them,quailty Wera ones, trust that brand more than other cheaper neon screwdrivers,but they are rather crude tools.:eek:
    Knew someone some years ago who got a nasty surprise when he grab hold of a cable & it was still very live, yet the neon screwdriver he used indicated no current,but I would have double checked first.
    Had it with volt sticks myself giving a false reading in the past.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

They are useful to have in the toolbox or pocket but only to check for live, NOT dead!

Bob Rathbone likes this.
  14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Only thing I use is my fluke T130 wouldn't trust a £1 neon screwdriver

KIAB likes this.
  15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That's not a neutral. Just because its coloured black or blue doesnt mean that its a neutral.

Put it all back as it was, with the double switch so it works again. Then take a photo and post it on here. We can maybe tell you how to do it. If not

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The so called neutral may be a switched live without sleeving.

Please call someone competent as it sounds like you're in over your depth.