Extension Roof Raining In

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by SMoffat99, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'll definitely get some rain in the gap where I arrowed. It's all flush down and anything that runs down the mortar will run back underneath the cloaking. And if there is also no lift at the tile edge, the water will run straight over the edge, down and into that gap. Where it goes after that is anybody's guess though.

2. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

Makes total sense. Thank you so much :D

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For a quick fix buy a tube of 'All Weather Sealant' clear as this sticks to both dry and wet surfaces. You will also require a sealant gun for the tube.

SMoffat99 likes this.
  4. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

Okay I've used one of those before... you guys are giving me hope :)

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Let us know how you get on, good luck! :)

SMoffat99 likes this.
  6. It's complete guesswork at the moment.

The extension is around 10 years old? When did water first come through the ceiling?

The part that Mr Ha pointed out - the way the tiles ridge sides are flush with the timber(?) barge-board running down the side is weird, but it doesn't actually mean that water going in that gap will end up inside the house.

And, yes, the tiles are at a low slope, so rain driven by gusty winds could be blown up the overlaps and get in that way, but it doesn't mean it is.

And then there's the flashing strip - which does look like proper lead, so that's good news.

I guess it comes down to whether you and a ladder are going to get on...

Does that window open at all? If so, any chance of leaning out - no, a bit more. More. A teeny bit more - GOOD! That's it - and take a photo of the join betwixt the ext roof and t'house wall? Ideally some crisp photos on a bright day - what are the chances, eh... :(

Astramax and SMoffat99 like this.
  7. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

Will do... I'll send you pictures from my hospital bed hehe

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't like hospitals :eek:,... so will settle for some better photos as DA has suggested. :rolleyes:

SMoffat99 likes this.
  9. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

No it doesn't open any further. I'll happily get up the ladder, if I can work out how to put it up, (good god I sound like a girl).... and I'll check it out and take some pics.

I only moved in 18 months ago, and it's only started dripping in the last week from that crack. I'm quite liking the bucket on the floor, it's quite a nice feature ;)

10. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

On it captain!

Astramax likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Remember to boil the water before drinking it though.:oops:

SMoffat99 likes this.
  12. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

Hahaha

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can't be too careful..Delhi Belly ;)

SMoffat99 likes this.
  14. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

That would be awful up a ladder :confused:

Astramax likes this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wear cycle clips! :D:p

gadget man and SMoffat99 like this.
  16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

All you need to do is sing along to this when it rains :D:D. Problem solved! :)

SMoffat99 likes this.
  17. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

Thanks. It's always good to get professional advice :D :D :D

18. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

I'm trying it now... but my singing usually makes it rain... so I might need bigger wellies!

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Advice comes from experience! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KIAB and SMoffat99 like this.
  20. SMoffat99

SMoffat99 New Member

Think I found the problem! Filled all visible gaps in the tiles and down the side... just keep your fingers crossed!! Thanks again to everyone who replied last night!!! I'll keep you posted ;)

Attached Files: