Souter morticer jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Aug 24, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Right then guys everyone raving about them !

Where is the best cheapest place to buy them from? Anyone got codes.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I bought from e-bay but the seller was MTS power tools, dame as KIAB's link.

tore81 likes this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

How much did you get it for? Need one now they look great and less marking

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I'm going to try Kiabs link go for that in 5 days, so don't anyone else bid on it lol.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I paid £119 it came with 3 cutters 19,22 and 25mm.

I ended up buying the longer shaft.

I have used it to fit imperial locks which are 152mm deep in 8 oak doors so far. I did the first one by drill and hand but spent over an hour doing one. I saw a few on ebay at the time going for auction but a I needed one quickly I just ended up buying a new one :) and I don't regret buying it.

I am not a professional and don't fit doors as a living. but is something I like doing so ended up buying this as I know I would be fitting more in future. Cutter is still sharp after the cuts and the whole jig seems well constructed and solid.

tore81 likes this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I think I've seen the cheapest on iron Mongery direct! Shame screwfix don't do them.

8. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I looked at them a few years back but opted for the Trend lock jig.

A bit of a bind when you have to drill out the hole a little deeper but great for batch work when you have a lot of doors to hang.

CGN likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need to add VAT on the ironmongery website site.:D

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Managed to find a 25 voucher code for iron Mongery so I've just orderd one.

I like the idea of self centering

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You'll be very HAPPY with your purchase:)

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He certianly will be, it's a great piece of kit, borrowed one some years ago, so easy.:)

tore81 likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have you got it yet? :)

This is a picture of the setup i am using.

The drill runs off a 110V transformer and has clutch control. t is keyless chuck operated, but a keyed chuck would be just as goo.

The advantage of this drill is that is has a clutch.

upload_2017-8-31_17-17-35.png

upload_2017-8-31_17-17-47.png

KIAB likes this.
  14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the pics JT

I have received it, I haven't had a chance to give it a go.

Set up seems pretty straightforward, how about adjusting it for the faceplate? do you just align it all up after doing the mortice, Ill have a mess about with it on the weekend.

Like the fact it's all in a kit no messing about looking for bits etc. Ready to go

I've got a key pad lock to do on a rebated door. Trying to work out if I need it to be off centre.

Surely it be fine to be in the centre for a keypad, I have bought a fitting plate from iron Mongery direct to sit under the latch and receiver making it flush. Not sure what it was called basically making it then work like a normal door.

when would you use the off centre jig?

Cheers again

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I did buy the centering jig but rally don't think it would be used too often. the 44mm fire doors I have been fitting have had all the locks fitted of center. This was to allow the latching plate on the lining to come that much more forward so there isn't the issue of striking and closing.

On doors over 44mm then it would need centering. I had a 57mm thick door made up by a joiner a few years back, and if the lock was centered in the door the striking plate would be mostly hidden by the frame, so not much to engage the latch.

I have read that a length o timber/batten can be used to create the offset which seems the best option. If for example you use a 20mm thick timber than the offset would be half this, so 10mm? Having a few different thickness would cover every eventuality.

For the souber jig itself, I have only used it to create the lock mortises. The plates have all been done using a trimmer set to the required depth then using it freehand to remove most of the wast before using a chisel to clean it up.

Keep the jig in a dry place, not outside, as the parts could rust. The rod slides freely inside the brass/bronze bush, which could wear out after a lot of years of use which would mean a light play in the movement. Has been designed by an engineering mind so it should see me out.

Done 8 doors with 152mm deep imperial locks, and for the time and frustration its saved me, I happy with what it's achieved. I have some more doors planned to fit this year, and setting up the jig takes minimal time and everything fits nicely in the box.

16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Great info JT

I've got a palm router and that's how I do my hinges much neater and less hassle. But I'll try the souber Moro

Thanks

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sourber for hinge rebates, new one on me,:eek: I also use palm router to cut them.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

remember the jig doesn't have to be used on doors, so if you need to make a mortise it comes useful.

just need to make sure that the stile is longer so the clamps can grip onto the wood.

If a door is already rebated, then it may be useful to clamp a longer length of batten to the side of the door so it can provide extra support for the jig, to stop it rocking, just a thought?

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Feel more confident doing the lock plats using a trimmer router, can pick one up for under £40, look for the Katsu thread.

Bits are cheap and easily replaceable, just need a steady and firm hand. Practice on timber before taking the plunge.

tore81 likes this.
  20. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Had a go this morning very impressed! Perfectly centred no measuring.Thanks both.

I jump around doing different things so the simplest quickest method. Which this is!
    Can't often remember after a year or so not fitting a lock.

Years since I have done mortice locks. My chisels are in poor condition I'll be trying to sharpen them the weekend.

Kiab why did you have to show me that. I'm going to want that now lol. I'm guessing that's s different tool or do you buy an attachment for DBB.