Toothbrush/shaver socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Possom, Aug 28, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes that is exactly what I mean Mr P

2. Possom

Possom Member

So in this scenario, there is the potential for someone to receive an electrical shock?

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I agree and I know many that have but I am sure that the manufacturers only intend these for intermittent use. The symbol does show a shaver and toothbrush but it does not make any mention of re chargeable devices.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The transformer is classed as safety isolating Mr P

5. Possom

Possom Member

Unfortunately I'm not an electrician so I'm not au fait with relevant terminology; can I just seek clarification on the point below? It's interesting to get an idea how safe these are before I arrange for an electrician to install one.

The transformer is classed as safety isolating.

However, if the energised charger base fell into a basin full of water the rcd would not trip.

So in the scenario of the energised toothbrush charging base falling into a basin of water, is there the potential for electrical shock, that is, since the rcd would not trip?

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What you have to remember is that the secondary side of the transformer has no reference to earth whatsoever Mr P

7. Possom

Possom Member

So there is the potential for electrical shock, just not fatal?

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

For tooth brush charger.. Just put a standard plug on the cable or if you want to keep original just buy an adapter so you can plug anywhere in any socket.

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Not sure...200ma maximum current output and the voltage is "floating" in relation to earth. Not sure what would happen if one dropped into a sink load of water with your hands in it though.

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

As far as I know the toothbrush bases are IPX7, so designed for temporary immersion with no ill effects.

IPX7 requires the unit to be in 1m of water for 30mins, so I don't think a quick dunk in the sink would be an issue, and you would still need to be the link between both cables, which is unlikely too.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

MK version spec sheet

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I have no hesitation in using the shaver socket for an electric toothbrush charger

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

Not saying you can do this on every type/make of shaver socket (if in fact an electrical differential between makes does exist) but its an ultra sonic base or whatever, and upon examination the flex after the grip seems to go into a transformer or something which is resin or whatever encapsulated, thus it seems it would survive an immersion in water in 't' basin..aye in an energised state I might add.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is it not possible that immersing the toothbrush charger might cause a short such as to short out the transformer in the socket, so increasing the voltage supplied to the charger?

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Not a properly designed one. Read my post above re IP rating

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Resistivity of H2O is the key factor HA

16. Mr. Handyandy

Ah, maybe with water between two bare wires not attached to anything, but what when those wires are terminated on a circuit board for example? Straight tracking!

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

As Craig said HA - the bases will be/are classified as IPX7 so in reality water encroaching onto pcb tracks is a very remote possibility indeed..IPX7 requires that the device submerged in 1 meter of water for 30 mins will not be compromised electrically. So how many wash basins do you know that are 1 meter deep?

18. Mr. Handyandy

Well I also don't get what difference 1m or 10cm makes. Fully immersed is immersed. I know you're gonna say pressure at 1m is blah blah, but can't make that much difference.

19. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I think the likely hood of a shock from a charger base dropped in water when supplied from the IT output of a bathroom shaver point is very slim as the current will be passing within the charger base not outside the base.

Never tried it, so don't know if a fuse would rupture or if it would just give out power until whole unit over heated. Not sure about resistance of soapy water, it would depend on the soap used, but seem to remember when we made soap at school salt was used, so it could produce chlorine gas, so suggest no one tries it.

Clearly some are designed for long term use, and others only intermittent, likely quality of transformers as once unplugged the supply to transformer is switched off.

I still think it is OK to use tooth brush or shaver which is held in your hand plugged in, but to balance a charger base on a window sill or the like is not really a good idea, the base really needs to be fixed even if only blu tac.

I really don't no what would happen if a rechargeable shaver fell into the sink while being on charge, my old shaver has like a small version of the 2.5A fig of 8 plug, and although the water may not have got in shaver it would have got into the plug and socket. Now I have a beard so don't use a shaver. Got in trouble for strapping mirror to loo seat, I though it was ideal, after I had finished trimming beard I could flush all the hairs away. But in the sink it's a problem getting all the hairs out, why anyone would want to trim a beard over the sink I don't know.

I can see why using a wet shaver you want to do it at a sink, but why would you want a sink when dry shaving? 66 now so not likely to start shaving now.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I dont know HA - its just the way it is m8..the manufacturers and BS 7671 know the crack, dunno what to say really - just plug the thing in its got the proper plug on it to fit the shaver socket so nowt more to really say. Never heard of any problems with stuff plugged into the shaver socket, be it electric toothbrushes or the shaver itself..but as always best to follow what the manufacturer says - if they say shavers only only then so be it, and if it has the shaver and toothbrush marking on it so be it.