Ecological and economical windows

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Kat Mustal, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Kat Mustal

Kat Mustal New Member

2. Kat Mustal

Kat Mustal New Member

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

We were told about K glass, it seems this glass has to be fitted the correct way around however not sure which is the correct way? I think the idea is to allow UV or other of the suns rays into the house, however in the living room of mothers house the problem is morning sun in the winter through the bay windows warms the room to well over what is required. In real terms having the glass to stop the suns rays would be a better option.

We tend with all the eco systems to assume what is good in one house will be good in all, however when we change house designs we need to consider all aspects, the original bay window was a dehumidifier, it had metal channels inside at the bottom of the window with a slight drop to small holes, water would condense on the window then run down the window into the channels and to the outside of the house. Today we have vents built into windows but when mothers windows were fitted that was not the norm.

The single panes of glass lost enough heat to stop the room over heating, in fact the room was too cold, but also it had a an open flue and first coal then coke fire and finally gas, as central heating was fitted there was a huge change to the fresh air getting into the house. The central heating has a balanced flue, it was this more of a change than the actual central heating, it removed the drafts.

So the windows used in the accommodation built in mount pleasant on the Falklands which could be rotated really to allow for being cleaned from the inside and with a large air gap to reduce noise from fast jets could actually be reversed so this could be altered to suit the sun or lack of sun to suit the day. Although they came from UK, never seen them for sale in the UK.

4. c0d3r

c0d3r Member

So UV light degrades materials which you might have seen with newspapers that have faded to an orange colour, outdoor plastics that have faded, faded curtain or seating fabrics near windows, or even linseed oil which degrades in sunlight and whilst we might get some heat from tanning salon lights, thats because tanning lamps emit light predominately in the UV-A (some UV-B light frequencies) and then on down into the visible light spectrum with some heat energy coming off the lights due to the electrical resistance. Melanin the skin pigment converts UV light into heat which is also why we feel heat from tanning salon lamps. Now Infra red light is what you want your glass to let in to heat up the air behind and unlike water which can convert UV light into heat energy, air doesnt convert UV light into heat even though theres a fantastic amount of energy stored in UV light because the wavelength only spreads out over nano metres compared to infrared wavelengths which spread out over micrometres to millimetres.

So if you could get a glass which is only one way for infrared you would trap more heat inside and its easier to open a window in the summer, fit an air con unit or if the building material absorbs water like some bricks do, to just water the outside of the building down with a hosepipe to draw heat away from the building itself. Mad I know but it works!

5. tecnolugo

tecnolugo New Member

According to my experience it is not a good solution, because of the experience in an office in which we work

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. arlethalazarini

arlethalazarini New Member

The main selection criterion should be the compliance of the window with the regulatory requirements specific to the region where the house is located. This conformity is established by an appropriate certificate that any window manufacturer must present. Similarly, you should approach the replacement of external entrance doors.

9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The last entry was 2017 so I would have considered the thread dead, however since then I have had two front doors fitted, and when I asked for fensa certificate found the company could not issue one. I was to say the least annoyed. However it seems only required if 50% or more of the units are glazed, and measurement showed they were not, so a fensa certificate was not required.

Also if an application is made at least 2 days before old windows are removed, one can do it through LABC the firm does not need to be fensa registered. Although in the main the idea is to ensure a unit is used which has a U valve of 1.6W/m2.k for windows, and 1.8W/m2.k doors, it also looks as other parts of the building regulations like escape routes, and ventilation.

With an opening window there is no need for a extractor in a bathroom, yet I have seen many bathroom windows replaced which do not open, without adding an extractor which should have never been allowed yet fitted by fensa registered firms, so it seems there is not checking on what the firms do, it is simply a tax.