Die Lorelei 2017

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Was talking about the one from the phirana nut in terminal 1,put it in vacant terminal 4 if that is the case.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Gotcha, will put final ringx2 in 1, lights in 3 and that bonding earth in 4.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Really neat and looks like someone who takes pride in their work :)

snappyfish and Dr Bodgit like this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Always trying and learning :D

snappyfish likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Amended the CU per @Deleted member 11267 's comments, hopefully it's now compliant :eek: Ring final cables on '1' and lighting radial on '2'.

[​IMG]

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

And some photos showing the electric and lights.

First the exterior with the doors on and EPDM trimmed (eaves facias still to be put on once painted). Made a temporary step for Ms Bodgit and she's only lickle and needs a leg up. Its actually very useful. Mat helps keep crude outside.

[​IMG]

Southern wing inside, showing CU and light switches with double socket for lighting above. Used metal clad for an industrial look, all electrics/surfaces appropriately sleeved and earthed to be signed off at some point.

[​IMG]

Northern wing, big corner desk will go on the right

[​IMG]

Really pleased with these lights, at £19 each per fitting and 6.5W LED lamps, thanks to @KIAB for advice on these. Was going to put rectangular conduit over the exposed lighting cable but no nice way to cap it at the ends, so left as is. Didn't want to drill through the timber either; that would have hidden the cables completely. Used Wago 773s to connect cables within the junction boxes and elsewhere, superb bits of kit.

[​IMG]

Triple light switch: left hand powers the twin dimmers (6 front/6 rear) and hence on/off for these 12 GU10 spots; middle switch powers the double socket above; right hand switch is spare and currently terminated within the double socket ready for powering external lights through that bit of conduit on top. The dimmer switch facia doesn't look brilliant as its designed to be mounted flush to the wall but hey ho.

[​IMG]

Final photo

[​IMG]

snappyfish likes this.
  7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

A serious amount of plug sockets? What are you plugging into all those?

Looks damn good. You should be happy. :)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I have too many sockets, said no techie ever. It's not the number but where you might need them. Hardly any extra work or cost to add a few while you're at it.

snappyfish likes this.
  9. Very nice nice cabin.
    You could always change the double dimmer to grid dimmers,Varilight do Led grid dimmers,but a nice job.
    I always pull my bends and very seldom use preformed bends or inspection bends or elbows unless necessary although it is easier.

Easier to put them in now than messing about later.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I was going to go with grid dimmers originally but couldn't find the faceplate and the guy at TLC showed me the all in one unit. I will swap it if this unit can find a place in the house.

Pulled bends properly done would look better but preformed is a lot easier and neater for me. I left some of the conduit joints unglued so have a little wiggle room and can get the angles spot on 90 degrees. Its a lot like plumbing and I'm no expert at that either!

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

OCD alert!, a bit like me... :D :oops:

Just make sure any crevices are sealed to keep out any spiders :eek:

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

In speaking with the Lady at LEDhut, she explained how the Varilight modules are supposed to be used i.e. not with a "grid" faceplate/system, but to replace existing modules and retain the existing faceplate.

Hence if I want a metal clad looking 2 gang Varilight dimmer, I buy a metal clad 2 gang dimmer and swap over the modules.

13. No,she is wrong,you can buy a module to just swap over the existing module in the switch you have or fit grid modules in a grid system.
    https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/grid-dimmers.php
    She is giving out wrong information and LED hut should be getting her to do some research.
    Varilight modules fit several grid systems, I would tell led hut to get their employees trained properly in what they are advising,next time you speak to them.
    How many people other than yourself have been given wrong advice?

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks Deleted member 11267, just to clarify, the modules LEDhut sell are the "replacement" modules, I now see Varilight also do "grid" modules but LEDhut don't sell those.

So I have two options for a nicer look, is this right?
    - get a metal clad dimmer and swap the dimmer modules with my existing V-Pro ones
    - buy a pair of Varilight "grid" dimmers and suitable faceplate & 2 knobs to totally replace what I have.

15. Yes,you could buy a double dimmer and swap the modules you have.
    https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk...er+Switch+for+Halogen+&+GLS+60-400W/193639444
    Would be the cheapest way.
    Or the grid system.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-2-gang-front-plate-metal-clad/21599
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-2-gang...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJWJr6uyldYCFY-tUQodCakBrw
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-2-gang-metal-clad-box/37530
    Then obviously the varilight grid dimmers.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Got a coat of the Protek supplied preservative on the outside now, its darkened the colour slightly which is to be expected. Away this coming week then got a week off to crack on and get things finished (hopefully).

Undercoated the eaves facias and put first coat of top coat on one side, looking nice. Some bubbles are appearing as it dries, any ideas whats causing this? I brushed them out, lots of bubbles appearing on the end grain of one piece in particular.

The brushmate is tip top, no clean up required at all between coats :)

For the observant - unpainted ends are to be cut/mitred when I fit them, then touched up.

[​IMG]

KIAB and snappyfish like this.
  17. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Looks fantastic. Is that the flooring I spot to the right?

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It is indeed.

snappyfish likes this.
  19. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

snappyfish likes this.