Hob + Oven on the same 32a MCB?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by clifford83, Sep 12, 2017.

1. clifford83

clifford83 New Member

Hi

My house has always had a freestanding cooker, which i plan to ditch for a separate hob and single oven. I've bought the hob and its rated as follows:
    28.1a
    6500W
    7.22kw
    Its a whirlpool ACM822NE

Im in the lookout for a single fan assisted oven, so I assume would be around 4kw.

My fuse box already has a cooker MCB of 32a and 6mm cabling with the spur, a hard wired socket and a single socket (all pics attached below).

Q1:
    Can I get the oven + hob HARD wired together on the same socket, AND use all the rings/oven at once without a problem?.

Q2:
    If i get a oven less than 3kw (so it has a plug on it) can i plug it into the socket and hard wire the hob so both are running off the same 32a circuit AND use all the rings and oven at once?.

I WILL every now and again use ALL 4 rings on the hob and the oven.

Some pictures:
    https://i.imgur.com/pufTiNQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eJm9yEc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JINRyES.jpg

The reason i am asking these questions is, so that i don't get shafted by a sparky when i do call one out. I just want to know if i'd need anything extra and if so what.

Thank you.

2. The reason i am asking these questions is, so that i don't get shafted by a sparky when i do call one out. I just want to know if i'd need anything extra and if so what

And that's why I won't be answering.
    Most of us give fair and honest opinions.

3. clifford83

clifford83 New Member

Could you explain why?.

4. What? Why I give fair and honest opinions?
    Because I'm a lovely chap obvs.

5. clifford83

clifford83 New Member

Lovely would be giving a answer, if you knew the answer obv. I assume you don't, but most people that don't simply won't reply at all.

Thanks anyway.

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

That won't be a problem load wise , diversity is taken into account! Hob via a cooker outlet plate . Fit a unswitched fused spur to single oven.

7. clifford83

clifford83 New Member

13a ?
    Could you dig me a link on screwfix as an example ?.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As above, the loading will be fine for the existing circuit. If you think about it, a standard cooker (ovens and 4 rings in one cabinet) is the equivalent of a hob + oven as separates. In fact the modern ovens will be more energy efficient than the old-style cookers.

The easy route would be to hardwire the hob in and to fit a single 13A socket for the oven and just plug it in.
    That removes the need to chop off the plug.

If you must go the FCU route then just go on the Screwfix site and type FCU in the search box. It comes up with half a dozen to choose from.
    It will need a 13A fuse, which will come with it.

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Bazza is correct, fit a 13A socket and just plug the oven in. You must ensure that all cabling will be sized to be protected by the 32A breaker, ie 6mm minimum. The oven and the hob must not be more than 2 metres from the cooker control unit that controls them both, this is 2 metres as the crow flies, not cable length.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

A standard 32A cooker circuit wired in 6mm2 T&E is good for total load of 15kW. *

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
    KIAB likes this.
  11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

There is no regulation that says there has to be a separate switch to isolate a cooking appliance, nor any 2 metre malarkey. One or two "guides" have said this, but it's not a regulation.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
    Pollowick likes this.
  13. clifford83

clifford83 New Member

I already have a socket on the cooker line.

Are you saying, don't use that?. Could i get a face plate for that socket fused at 13a?. Or do you mean connect a 6mm cabling from the socket to a fused unswitched socket?.

What if, the cooker i buy has a plug on it?. Would i still need a fused socket?.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Disconnect the single socket and fit a dual cooker outlet and wire oven and hob into it most ovens don't come with plug on anyway

15. clifford83

clifford83 New Member

So i've called various different electricians to get a quote for the work.

And they're all telling me totally different things. This is why i said i don't want to get shafted.

1st guy told me he needs to run 10mm cabling to the consumer unit replacing the old 6mm. He said £150 for the job or £200 he will stay all day doing whatever else i need doing.
    2nd guy said he will wire both to the same circuit for £100
    3rd guy said he will hard wire both to the same socket for £50
    4th guy said he will need to inspect everything before quoting.
    5th guy said he needs to run a separate connection for the oven and will wire hob into existing.

o_O

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

1st guy doesnt know what he's talking about. The circuit you already have is plenty.
    2nd guy sounds more likely
    3rd guy has ignored that your oven can be plugged in
    4th. Fair enough. I would too
    5th. No price?

I would go for 2 or 5

17. clifford83

clifford83 New Member

Sorry i haven't bought the oven yet.

I was looking for a bosch one, which comes with a kettle lead. But now im looking for another which requires to be hard wired. Most of them appear to require hard wiring, so the chances are I will go for one of them.

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If its to be hardwired, you don't even need an electrician.
    Get one of these
    [​IMG]

Swap it for the existing cooker connection point and wire them both in.

Simples!

seneca, Dr Bodgit and Sparkielev like this.
  19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Sparkies don't want to be shafted by customers either. :D Its obvious a lot of us aint got a clue when it comes to advising customers. Its worrying how much bull is spouted by so-called sparkies to their customers. Look at that list! Lol

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The advice here is not only good, but also free! All hail the SF forum Sparkies :D

Kat223, Bazza and KIAB like this.