Used Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Assuming the nails are not ring shank shouldn't be too impossible. I used supplied slender nails which barely had a head, those may well pull through which isn't great. Think it will just take time and patience working at height.

I'm talking about the nails holding t&g in place

2. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

So I'm thinking this might work? would take me 100mm of concrete below.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlOpUcPSPfYl4E7oBmURzS5i5xLF

Concrete blocks are 440mm long, 215mm High, 100mm Width will lie them flat so 100mm high.

My bearers start from one side in red on the image and are at every 400mm then one odd one at the end. I count 28 blocks needed.

Seem ok?

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks good. You could always split some blocks in half if needed e.g. if they don't quite span the bearers.

4. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Just checked 400mm is spacing between floor bearers so add 50mm each for bearers. One block spaced every two bearers on the outside won't work, so will need more blocks or have to cut them as suggested.

So cut them or just order a few more for strength anyway

Found these @ £1.19 each so not to bad https://www.online-building-supplie....asp?uid=9384f751-fb47-490d-ad32-23e2aa5781b1

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'd probably cut them in half and have lots so bearers are well supported. I assume you don't have noggins between bearers so you want to keep the spans pretty short.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Actually, I'd keep them whole and run them so there's a small gap (10cm) between them. Run end-to-end around the perimeter, and along each bearer, just a 10cm gap between. Would use quite a few, but the bearers are only 2" deep so not really load bearing.

7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Was thinking I have 47mm by 70mm external bearers at the moment. so scrap them as external bearers and chop them up could use them as noggins between current floor bearers.

Reason I need new external bearers also is they left me with this and can't believe I've only just noticed it https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlOpUcPSPfYl4FFvTHzWTy5T1Kur

Then buy as below to create new external ring bearers, these will be laid flat so 47mm in height (also run a 100mm dpc on them first before screwing first logs to them) then

• Timber Size: 4x2 (47x100mm), Length: 4.8m x2
    • Timber Size: 4x2 (47x100mm), Length: 6.0m x2
    Does this work and make sense?

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes that should work. Just be careful with timber sizes though as what you've specified is rough sawn. I bought CLS C16/C24 which is "regularised" and comes out around 45mmx95mm. Still have a few left over plus unused bearers.

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'd put DPC either side of the blocks.

10. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

If I'm going to get this done I will be wanting to use 50mm Celotex also in the base somehow.

Leaving 10mm gaps as I can I make it 70 blocks with these measurements in linked image below?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlOpUcPSPfYl4FTBzVMbgy67hMD4

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes like that. I've got 10mm overhang on each side, you've got 5mm.

12. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I've just realised that is wrong as Blocks are 440x215 not 440x440 :confused:

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Prior planning and preparation prevents **** poor performance :p

snappyfish likes this.
  14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I make it 80 blocks

For the 5290mm lengths 10 blocks running 440mm

spacing gaps between the blocks
    • 9@99mm
    • 1@98mm (in middle)
    For the 3790mm Widths 8 blocks first ones either end turns long ways so 215mm then 6 blocks 440mm

spacing gaps between the blocks
    • 4@102mm
    • 3@104mm (in middle)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlOpUcPSPfYl4FdbRZ7WuNzURCwM

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Took me a moment to get my head around that, did some QA on your drawing and all looks OK . I haven't worked it out, but are you sure your intermediate bearers will be in line with the blocks?

One down side with this is that if the base underneath isn't perfectly flat then neither will the blocks. However:
    - its no worse than laying bearers directly on the concrete
    - you can use multiple layers of DPC to adjust the heights. Just need a long bit of straight timber and/or a long spirit level.

I'd start off by laying all the blocks out and getting the levels right by adding DPC as needed. Put long lengths of DPC under the blocks, then place the perimeter bearers also on a DPC on the blocks (and ideally intermediate bearers too) then shim under the bearers with additional DPC as needed to make it all level. That DPC I linked to is quite thick, may be couple of mm, so is ideal for levelling out.

16. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I will check today when stood in the cabin and try to make sure this all lines up. Will DPC be ok for levelling minor margins? Hopefully the DPC will create a tight seal top and bottom of bearers if it doesn't resolve problem only thing I'm improving here is rain will run off at least, but ideally, don't want rain coming through tops and bottoms of bearers.

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Tops of bearers will be sealed to the first logs as they'll be flat 'n' level so no problem there. Bottoms of bearers won't be sealed as they'll span across blocks.

DPC should be fine for levelling minor margins, its what I used.

18. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

But the DPC should seal up bottoms bearers better than gaps I currently have on concrete? The blocks won't be that far out will they?

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

DPC should seal things nicely, its not really compressible but it does have a pattern to it so will tend to dig into the timber a bit . The span I'm talking about is the 10cm gap between the blocks - the bearers will span those gaps so won't be sealed where they span the 10cm gap.

20. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

As yes, the 10cm gap, will paint new bearers and what about before placing them on blocks staple/glue the dpc to bearers so it's all the way along.