Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

All my walls are lined with lining paper so I won't be able to sand them down which means stripping all the walls and starting again.

2. Fpmw

Fpmw New Member

I too have had the hallway,stairs and landing repainted 10 days ago with brilliant white Velspar trade emulsion, scrubbable.
    Over the past few days an ammonia odours have developed, having been concerned about a gas leak I realised it was coming from the walls.
    Last night I discovered that is not an unfamiliar problem with many people, spoken to b and q, they have passed me to Velspar. Wonder how it will develop.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When did you buy that paint, if very recently,I'm surprised there still affected paint available.

4. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

I bought mine 3-4 months ago.

5. Fpmw

Fpmw New Member

I bought it in the middle of August, I didn't know about the problem until I started to research the smell at the weekend, I see now from news reports that they were supposed to have taken it off the shelves, I bought 2 10L pots from different B and Q outlets in Bristol. Same codes on the pots.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Amazed at this is still occurring as the problem has been known about for many months even with the first post on this forum dating back to mid April! :mad:

KIAB likes this.
  7. B8S_17

B8S_17 New Member

Hi all,

I had 4 rooms painted with this back in July and I, like all of you, have been living with an awful strong gas smell in those rooms ever since. Typical signs that you are all reporting, worse in hot weather and/or with windows open. The smell was very strong and began drifting around the rest of the house. It has been totally spoiling the enjoyment of our new home and I have been seriously ****** off reading everything that suggests there's only one option (full redecoration with the pricey primer). Balls am I going through all that upheaval!

Anyway, I have now been experimenting and I think I have cracked it. I have eliminated the smell! Admittedly it's only been 4 days so far so I am playing it out to see if it returns but so far so good. Came home tonight to quite a warm room with the sun shining in and no smell.

I was compensated £1500 and this fix has cost me £12. Just hope it lasts!! Will report back..

Adam H likes this.
  8. Fpmw

Fpmw New Member

9. Fpmw

Fpmw New Member

What did you do? A colleague had a similar problem back in 2012 with crown paint, he washed the walls down twice with a white wine vinegar solution. He says he did it twice and that removed the odour, presumably it nutualized it.

10. Adam H

Adam H New Member

Just to follow up with my posts on the last page, Valspar after 6 weeks of trying and alot of proof being sent to them and 2 offers being rejected. Have this morning agreed a reasonable compensation for the entire house and a little bit extra for the trouble, now just a matter of repainting. Prop's to Valspar though, they have gone to lengths to make sure everything was covered their customer complaints team deserve a medal.

Fpmw and KIAB like this.
  11. Bosteno25

Bosteno25 New Member

I have just realised my rooms I've painted with valspar paint smell urine too!! The worst part for me is ive only noticed it after searching a thread for faulty valspar lids as yesterday I bought two large 5L tubs of valspar and when I went round a roundabout one toppled over and the paint spilled all over my brand new car!! B&q are aware these lids are faulty but not accepting any liability .. so now I'm realising g b&q have ruined my house and car and I'm so angry with them.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go to a carpet cleaning company as they have the cleaning agents to remove all the paint back to brand new again, had it done some years ago to a carpet and was amazed! Good luck :)

13. Fpmw

Fpmw New Member

Have just tried the vinegar wash, sadly didn't do the job.

14. cava83

cava83 New Member

Well, this is interesting. Had to register and write something. We had some of our house painted last year and it still stinks now, more so when sunny or good ventilation. I've had nothing but severe blocking from B&Q about this, Valspar saying they would not deal with me originally. Having nagged a bit more, they offered to buy new paint but nothing more, still trying to get the rooms painted by them. For those of you who have acquired compensation, how did you go about it and what outcome did you get? Many thanks

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I never trust a lid on any paint can, any time I carry paint in car, I always put a few wraps of reinforced tape around the can & pop the can in a black bag & tie off.

16. Adam H

Adam H New Member

B&Q were useless, the only reason to contact them is to start the original Valpar complaint procedure via email, after that they don't want to know. I provided every bit of info Valspar asked for and rejected every offer they made which didnt represent what needed to be done.

I was hugely descriptive in my original email making a point of how bad the situation was, every room, how many pots and what type of paint was used. Pictures of the remaining paint pots ( yes still got them a year later ironically ), bank statements instead of receipts of all money spent between August and January last year in B & Q, decorators quotes, pictures of everything possible.

That being said, If I had only one or two rooms to do I would have probably accepted the offer of sealer and new paint and just got on with it. The only reason I pushed hard was because it was the entire house and who has time to re-do an entire house with multiple coats, once with sealer, then undercoat then paint. I know I wasnt prepared to do it again in less than a year.

17. Teresa Alexander

Teresa Alexander New Member

Had my whole house painted in May same problem bloody nightmare, been following this thread, has anyone found another way of getting rid of it apart from the Zinsser as even though after a long battle Valspar have said they will pay for my decorators the sealant and the paint I am struggling to find painter's that are willing to use this stuff in such large amounts ?

18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

White vinegar and water and wash down? Maybe.. Bit unsure if this works

Teresa Alexander likes this.
  19. Jane Crawford

Jane Crawford New Member

I bought Valspar and painted my front room and went through the smell of gas and the cats wee smell about 2 weeks ago. I complained to B&Q who asked for all details and proof of purchase etc and said someone would contact me. No one contacted me so I phoned B&Q and then put a remark on twitter and next thing I was contacted.
    I was told by Valspar that the EU had banned an additive within the paint so it was removed. They then discovered that this then caused the paint to smell. Once they Realised this, they went back to B&Q and re added an additive to stop the smell in the paints affected. They said they were shocked that the blend I used was faulty (V700) Absolute Rubbish!!!... when I was chasing B&Q to contact me regarding my problem as no one had contacted me, I was told the reason Valspar hadn't contacted me was because they were overwhelmed with complaints and were trying to sort out the problem!! I went into B&Q and the staff were amazed that there was a problem with the paint as they said it had been rectified!! I think there is a lot of cloak and dagger stuff going on and they are trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes!!!

20. Jane Crawford

Jane Crawford New Member

Valspar recommended the BIN stuff but from what I can gather it is really strong stuff and I have animals so am scared to use it now