Removal of 9 inch solid wall into extension

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kaned93, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

The day has come for the knock through ithink ive got the idea after reading a few things and chats with se, just wanted to post on here to make sure ive not missed anything.
    Im knocking out the pasrt of wall between door and window which is 2.5m opening pic to follow.
    it's a solid 215mm brick wall I'm not bring it up to highest it can go just the same height as door and window.
    I have the 2 pFc bolted together with 200mm bearing either side on engineering bricks. im going to knock strong boys from the extension into the kitchen as i want to keep kotchen as it is best i can, 1 course above where the steel will go cut the opening out install the steel by hand as 126kg 4 of us should manage.
    then brick up the padstones pack with steel shims leave a couple days then remove acros.
    am I missing anything or is that covering it all? thanks Kane

Picture...
    https://ibb.co/dRNUb5

2. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Will also have acrows inside kitchen up agaisnt ceiling with a scaffold board running accross the joists

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Pretty much bang on the money mate. A small suggestion is to place your rsj more or less in position before you place your acrows so you don't have to mess about manoeuvring it between props later on, and lay a bed of mortar on top of the rsj before lifting into position, then pinch it up with the acrows once set on your padstones. Once up and tight, bang your shims or slate in so everything's nice and wedged. Leave a couple days, then remove the props.

Take it your roof went ok after?

BMC2000 likes this.
  4. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

yes buddy roof went fine miss cut 1 or 2 but no dramas haha

I'll add some pics in a second of the wall I want to remove etc just need some advice on the supports as worktop in kitchen is attached to the wall I want to remove some of and i don't want to mess with the kitchen ideally.
    if you don't mind if appreciate your help again! cheers Kane

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Good, great when it goes right for a change. Post em' up and let's have a look bud.

6. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Pics to follow first is section in red between door and windows and slightly lower than windowx which is to be removed second is on the inside with kitchen in place.
    Im fine with putting eng bricks and steel in i need help with supporting as worktop is insideon the wall.
    9 inch solid wall span is 2.5m so steel in 2.9m 200mm bearing cheers mate kane

7. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

8. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Steel will be same position as lintel

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Provided you prop the kitchen ceiling/wall with at least 3, possibly 4 acrows/strongboys and planks, ceiling and floor, close to your worktop, all should be fine. Position both rsj's tight to the wall extension side, prop both sides of wall, knock out wall and clear area, then install your kitchen side rsj first, then once packed and tight install the rsj that's the extension side. That order hopefully won't damage or affect your kitchen too much. One thing I noticed is I would bolt the steels together once their in place, rather than on the ground, halve the weight for ease of lifting.

10. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

I can get strongboys in extension side but only 1 kitchen side would that 1 and 3 accrows with boards accross joists on ceilimg be ok? And i didnt thinm of bolting together once up there save me alot of grief haha thanks alot

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If it's a nine inch solid wall, your strongboys will go all the way through from the extension side into your kitchen won't they? Or am I being dull and missing something?

12. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Oh thats even better than to be ho est bud i dont know the span of the strongboys if thats the case sounds nice and sorta easy!

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Aye, well, don't be complacent until it's done mate, then you can breathe relief. Space your acrows 3ft apart with strongboy heads jutting through kitchen wall, can cut slots through with disc cutter and plugging chisel, or knock a brick out underneath each strongboy position then insert them.

14. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Ok bud niceone appreciate the help if i get any questions mind if i ask ya on nere will be next weekend we start

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No problem, that's what the forums for, to try to help. Good luck.