Swann Security System

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Sep 20, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Last time i looked JP...it was regarded as junk.
    The pros on here will be able to advise better than I, as i am out of touch with lots of stuff now.
    Altho I am a dab hand at reading bedtime stories and showing grandchildren under 5 five... tricks with magnets and the like !
    :cool:
    RS

KIAB likes this.
  3. WaterBoy75

WaterBoy75 Member

I've got a system using swann.

Seems fine and works well. The screws they provide for mounting the cameras should be chucked.

4. WaterBoy75

WaterBoy75 Member

The app they provide is pretty basic but works fine.

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As a pro installer it's not kit we'd specify, but, having said that, even stuff off eBay serves the purpose.
    Hikvision is our preferred stuff, amongst a few others.

KIAB likes this.
  6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Guys many thanks for your responses.

I have decided to go for a Hikvision system - link below (thanks Mr R)

https://www.cctvtek.co.uk/

Its a matter of deciding how many cameras etc etc - never done CCTV before so may be asking a few questions.

Thanks lads.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Got hik vision in my house jp can't fault it

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've got double vision in mine.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Dahua and Qvis are my choice. Used extensively around here by most installers. Nearly all new installs are IP.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Lec.

One question. You buy the camera to box cables separately and these seem to come in lengths of 20 metres.. if say the distance to camera from box is what 5 meters do you neatly coil any surplus up?

Alternatively is it easy to fashion your own leads up? One site sells the cables and connectors and one of the cables specified is RG69 - I find that odd because that stuff is old hat and I would have thought PF/CT 100/Webro would be far superior?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Spark - what is the quality of picture like on the smartphone when you access the system remotely, is it fuzzy and pixelated, or clear Mr S?

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Got iPhone 5 good picture quality same on my my iPad good night vision as well

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr S

14. Lectrician

I don't buy pre ended cables. Buy a roll and put your own ends on. Horrible leaving coils. Also easier to pull through, go through holes etc. If you go for IP, you will be using small ethernet cat5e which is a breeze to pull in, and you will get decent image quality. If you opted for pro end kit, 1080 4K!

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Lec. So from camera to main box it will be say pf100 cable (for the video signal) and also the cat 5e, does the 5e also carry the power to the camera unit?

I will read up, must admit bit lazy of me . bit of a luxury though having the forum giving me answers.

Just one more thing - is the signal from the camera digital, or is it an RF signal? (final output from camera)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

18. Lectrician

If you go IP, cat5e is all you need. If you go old school, it’s RG59 coax, not PF100! Usually a shotgun cable, RG59 and two core power. You can get HD over coax, but if going with a new install, cat5e and an IP system would be my choice.

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Lec, Poe and cat5 would be best, most DVR's and NVR's have the option of using p2p for remote viewing, basically what that means is you are using the manufacturers server to connect to your machine, obviously not as secure as a direct link via the www, but it's a godsend if you don't have a static ip address.
    In layman's terms your router will use DHCP, and dish out an address to your NVR, now obviously that needs to stay the same for you to go straight to it via the www, ie, static, never changes, but most home networks routers can and usually do change their address on power outage etc.
    P2p works by your NVR notifying the remote server that it's address has changed, hence you can go to it easily via them.
    Not easy to explain here, but google p2p etc for an explanation that is probably going to be better than mine, lol.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Lec and Mr R. If I went the IP route (one cat 5 cable sounds brill as opposed to the shotgun coax way) then what happens if the internet connection is lost? Does it mean that there will be no surveillance whilst server is down?