PlasterBoard at height

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kevee, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Kevee

Kevee Member

Hi All,

I will be doing the 1st time fix on a self build soon and what has been drawn up is a double height hallway to keep it nice and light.

I am working on my own and was wondering how feasible it would be to fasten the ceiling boards on scaffolding using the smaller boards. I imagine some kind of pully system to get the board on to the scaffolding and then balancing it on head to fasten in place.

Is it too much aggravation and should I just get someone in to do the hallway for me?

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You might need some assistance to move and balance the board. Just a labourer is all you will need.

I have mentioned this several times before, including once today. When fixing large amounts of plasterboard, invest in a collated screw driver. You can fix a screw one handed and every two seconds and a board completely done in under five minutes.

3. Kevee

Kevee Member

Thanks for the advice on the collated screw driver, I do not have one currently just standard battery with drywall bit but looks like it would be a worthwhile investment.

Is there a downside to using the smaller boards or is it what they are designed for to help in areas where you are having more difficulty to access.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Believe me, it will be a very worth while investment. Ten or more times faster than a battery drill as you don't need to fiddle around getting a screw, aligning it and offering it up to the wall. With my Fein M-gun, I fit a strip of 50 screws, pull the trigger, then bang, bang, bang, ... and te board is done. Might take a few tries to get the hang of not letting the trigger go, but once mastered it is no easy.

I think it was DrB who bought one on my recommendation and he will almost certainly concur.

Use the largest possible - you can get 3m long ones too. Te small ones are only there to sell for small patching or to be able to transport in a car. At one time there were ceiling boards - 8 or 2.4 m long and just 20" or 500 wide.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Check your joist spacings to see what works well regarding alleviating waste. If you're working at height, 6x3 would be ideal, especially if you haven't boarded a ceiling before. An 8x4 can quickly become quite heavy when held above your head, but a 6x3 is nice to work with and allows you to fine tune positions easier. May be worth buying a couple of plasterboard props to help keep them in place while you put your screw's in.

PS, remember to stagger your joins.
    PPS, while I agree with the above posts regarding a collated screwdriver being useful, IMO, its not essential, unless you have big areas to cover. A good bunch of screws in your pouch and a nice light battery drill will be almost as quick. Accuracy is more important than speed, as you're not on site working on a meterage :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  7. Kevee

Kevee Member

Thanks for the comments, I have done ceilings before when I was in my youth helping the old man. Unfortunately age is creeping up on me and he is no longer around so think the smaller panels will be the way to go for ceilings. For the walls I can use the bigger panels and wedge them into place.

I am wondering about hiring a collated screwdriver for the ceilings and then as time is not as essential using the standard battery screwdriver for the walls. Or buying one and then selling it on second hand because once done do not think I will have much of a need for it.

Although the ceiling is too high for one of the standard lifters it is flat so maybe able to prop it up then fasten. The other ceilings would be okay for the lifter.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I have just stripped an old lath and plaster and boarded a double height stairwell ceiling (5.4m) . What I did was buy some 3x2 (which I needed anyway) and constructed a temporary "floor" (basically a wood scaffold). Couple of scaffold planks across and it was no problem

and me - you should be on commission! def look at collated gun if you a fair bit of PB and/or flooring to do. Not only is it easier, but it saves your wrist getting torqued with every screw which starts to hurt after a while! - collated drivers set the screws by depth rather than by torque (as a driver/drill does)

these are handy too for holding PB in place https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-...id=1507802095&sr=8-2&keywords=telescopic+prop