Kick boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Alan bell, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

just had new flooring fit in kitchen (vinyl planks) now need to fit new kick boards but they need the thickness off he new floor taking of, I did a shorter board with a belt sander but it took an age to do. What would you use the board is apx 3 m long high gloss.....thanks in advance.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep sanding will take an age indeed !

Circular saw, fine tooth blade, at least 80 teeth, cut with finished side upside down and run the saw against a clamped straight edge

Could also use a track saw, basically the same as above but great for long straight cuts

Are you fitting a seal strip to cut edge at floor junction ?

Alan bell likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Track saw a lot easier than a running circular saw with a parallel guide along a length of kick board.

If you use circular saw, put kick board cut edge up,any discrepancy will will be hidden.:oops:

Alan bell likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A handsaw will be fine if you're a DIYER as you may not have a circular or track saw. Buy a saw with at least 10TPI (teeth per inch), place masking tape tightly over the area you are to cut, pencil a line and cut with the saw, taking your time to be as accurate as you can. You can also score the line with a Stanley knife first to aid cutting it if you want. Peel the masking tape off and you should have a clean cut. Make sure you cut from the face though, doing it this way.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

@ Alan Bell, if by any chance you bought the Plinth from say B&Q you can always take it back and ask them to rip 10mm or whatever you need off of it.

@ Kiab, a track saw along a bit of plinth 150mm wide would be a nightmare lol.........................what ya thinking ? o_O

Alan bell likes this.
  6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

why? I use mine on narrow boards frequently. As long as both sides of the track are equally supported (usually by using the other board that needs cutting) and you use track clamps it's a walk in the park. Works for me.

GoodwithWood and Alan bell like this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve gotta reply as it was me who suggested a circ saw or track saw;

I’m only diy so have a cheapo Titan track saw but for me, it cuts really well and after some adjustment, very accurate

Often use on narrow timber with no probs, just place same thickness timber either side and clamp down so uv now got a wide, even base for the track to sit on. Always cut onto a ‘sacraficial’ board underneath and set blade 2mm deeper to give a clean cut. As I say, I’m diy but works for me :)

GoodwithWood and Alan bell like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Plunge saw is,a great bit of kit...if you have one to hand :)

Failing that, a nice sharp fine tooth hand saw as Jord mentioned will have the job done in minutes and will cost not much more than a fiver.

Alan bell likes this.
  9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I like the belt sander approach. :D

There’s not much you can't do with a belt sander given enough time.

Alan bell and CGN like this.
  10. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

thanks for all the replies, I've not done it yet but I think the 3m length is from B & Q so may go down
    that track and see if the will trim it for me.. didn't think they would touch it being such a small amount
    to trim of..