Wanted: Plasterboard offcut, Newcastle Upon Tyne

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tomosap, Oct 12, 2017.

1. tomosap

tomosap Member

Sorry if this is not the done thing on this forum, so feel free to let me know and close the topic if so...

I'm looking for a piece of plasterboard offcut to do a small patch job in the house, and it seems a waste to go and buy a full sheet when I only need a small amount. Would anyone happen to have some they'd be willing to pass on for a couple of quid?

I'm happy to come and collect, or alternatively if someone could suggest a place where I could get such a thing, that would be great.

Many thanks,
    Tom

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

try your local merchant. If it's anything like mine there is usually a pile of damaged sheets in the PB department for virtually free.

4. tomosap

tomosap Member

Some good suggestions there gents, thanks very much

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have you got a local council tip - or ‘Recycling Centre’ as they’re now called (around my area anyway)

Mine have seperate skips for plasterboard and I’ve grabbed a couple of large offcuts when I’ve has a similiar job to you around the house

I just give the guys a couple quid for their biscuit fund and say ‘please and thank you’ !

Took down some gardening rubbish other week and came back with a load of hard core that I needed for an upcoming project in the garden

Few months ago I came back with a Black and Decker Workmate. Couple of the silly plastic clips on the legs had snapped but a set of 4 costs less than a fiver so a bargain !

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your lucky you can take things from the skips, down here it's not allowed.

Other day a chap chuck out bound volumes of Model Engineer magazines from the 20's 30's & 40's, & I wasn't allowed them,or buy them, terrible waste.:mad::(

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's abhorrent what some people throw away. Those magazines could have gone to a charity shop or somewhere that could make use of them.
    We're not allowed to remove anything either. I was lucky enough to catch someone before they threw a sheet and a half of new Aquaboard in the skip the other day. We completed the 'transaction' once we were out of the site.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been lucky doing a few off site transactions.:)

Want to look at Freecycle & Freegle for your area & surrounding area, had some great bargains, a new 9" Hitachi grinder, workmates,bundle of 15mm copper tube,etc.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The tipmaster has put them on ebay! :eek:;):D

KIAB likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I've got some you can have. Just send me an 8'x4' self addressed envelope and I'll pop it in the post :D

tomosap and gadget man like this.
  11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

B&Q sell handy boards.. Small sheets of plasterboard for about £3..cant remember price. Google it.. Just looked up.. It's £4
    GYPROC HANDIBOARD SQUARE EDGE PLASTERBOARD (L)1220MM (W)900MM (T)9.5MM

12. tomosap

tomosap Member

Can do, but will the envelope fit through your letterbox ;)

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

For what a sheet would cost to buy, it would cost more in petrol to go down the tip.

Freecycle is good, also there's the "Nextdoor" app/website that also useful for these sorts of things. Got rid of a load of rubble via Nextdoor, chap few doors down was filling some gabions and only wanted the big bits...suited me as wanted the small stuff to fill in the shack piers.

14. tomosap

tomosap Member

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but for me it's more to do with the waste.. I have no need for a full sheet, so if I bought one, it would just sit there forever more and seems such a waste to just bin perfectly good material.

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I know what you mean, I had half a sheet of plasterboard sitting in the garage and wondered whether to keep it "just in case". Decided to take it down the tip in the end!