Sooooo, who would be happy if we 'crashed out'

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

"Crashing out", as in a Brexit so hard that we go splat on the ground, won't be good for anyone.

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I don't think anybody would be 'happy' if we 'crashed out', but the sheer intransigence on the EU side of the negotiations suggests that may happen.
    Project fear seems to have re-emerged with Philip Hammond predicting that flights to Europe may cease on the day of Brexit and eminent financial bods predicting ten years of recession to depths never before experienced.
    I suspect that most 'grown ups' are of the opinion that the above is tosh, a deal will be done, and if not, the world will not end, despite DA standing at 'speakers corner' with a placard around his neck stating 'the end is nigh'.

3. "...the sheer intransigence on the EU side..." :D

'Go whistle', Filly.

You have obligingly given the Hard Leavers exactly what they want to hear - the only device they have left.

They have lost/are losing every technical argument, so all that's left for them is to strut and swagger and cry "We won't be bullied...", "The ball's in THEIR court..." and the utterly sublime "WHY CAN'T THEY BE MORE REASONABLE?!"

A simple truism - with emphasis on 'simple'; the longer this lunacy goes on, and the worse it gets for the UK, and the more down the pan we slide - the MORE determined the likes of Filly will be to Leave.

This isn't - IT NEVER WAS - about what's BEST for Britain (only the truly ignorant cannot accept how good the EU was to us - we were top in the G7 until a couple of years ago, for pity's sakes!) but it's all about posturing. Swaggering. About cynicism. All about kicking out at anything that makes the pitiful feel better about themselves.

It saves them having to address their own inadequacies.

We all know people like this - they find fault, criticise, moan, say things like "They are all the same!", "Out for themselves!", "They don't care about US!" - as if AS IF this makes them seem to have 'an opinion'.

They are obsessed with other people having - or seemingly to have - what they don't. They are obsessed that they are somehow 'owed' more than others. They are never truly happy, never truly content. They are consumed by bitterness, envy, resentment - perceived injustices.

They are obsessed that the 'establishment' (they don't even know what that is...) is out to stitch them up.

None of their 'condition' is down to them - nah, it's all 'others' doing this to me, boo-hoo.

And they will follow the likes of Dacre, Farage, Fox, Davis, Mogg(!) who exploit these cynical untruths for their own personal gain. And chortle at the ignorant masses who brayingly do their bidding for them.

Filly, a wee question. You are an ordinary fellow, a bit 'rough & ready', not particularly bright; what do you think Foxie and Mogg feels for the likes of you?

Really?

Precisely.

4. Sheer intransigence?

Who is leaving? Who has to sort the problems that causes? Fairly obvious it is down to UK to sort, not the other way round, regardless of which side of Brexit you are on.

Compare it to ending a loan early, or changing a job, or a booked reservation, or ending any legal agreement?

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Yes.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Well last time was Dunkirk, but it worked out OK in the end didn't it.;):p:p

Deleted member 33931 and btiw2 like this.
  7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

"not particularly bright"? That was uncalled for (and made me chuckle - soz Filly).

Perhaps we need to teach DA about glass houses and throwing stones.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'm sure the EU need us rather more than we need them. Germany certainly know they do as it will fall to Germany to pick up the bigger slice of the tab once we leave. Why on earth do you think the EU are still going on about a "Brexit payment" for us to leave? (yet still won't reveal exactly how much they want?) If they really want to negotiate this payment, then a good starting point might be for them to mention the figure they have in mind. You just can't negotiate with someone over a price when they won't tell you how much they expect in the first instance.

9. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I don't know, we've never been formally introduced.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I wasn't aware we'd borrowed money from the EU Jack, or were a net recipient in any form. There will be some liabilities, pensions and so on, but there will
    also be 'assets' which we will be entitled to a percentage of.
    This 'legal agreement' you mention, how much does that specify we should pay on leaving?

11. joinerjohn1

Hmmm the entertainment secretary at my local club resigned last year. Should he still continue to book the entertainment (even though he's passed on all contacts to the present incumbent of that position) ? Christ sake JoT you don't half talk some dribble. We are leaving the EU, it's causing problems for them. Ask yourself,, "Why is it causing problems for them? " There's only one answer to that and it boils down to money, money, money. (UK money, night I add)

If you leave your present job, by giving your present employer 4 weeks notice, and this causes problems for your employer, do you think you should sort "their problems "out? I'd suggest No it's not up to you, it's up to them.

Never mind, I'm sure the EU will find some other rich European country willing to join the club... ohh,, wait a minute,,,,,,,

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It's a tad unfair to stereotype an entire group like that, DA.
    I'm sure there must be a few labour/Corby supporters who don't feel that way.

13. On a serious note, Longs, of course I don't stereotype all Leavers as such, but - from my experience on here and in 'real' life, I will claim it is the vast majority.

14. joinerjohn1

Sounds a lot like the majority of Remoaners DA.. A heck of a lot like them.

15. I think it specifies what we are responsible for, and have committed to.

Do you not think figures are being discussed? If so, why dont you think they are being disclosed? There must be a reason?

Do you think it is because we think we can knock a bit more off yet?
    Or do you think it will scare all the leavers who still think there is no cost to exit? And by cost I mean simply just to disentangle, not to take into account future costs caused by brexit. (imports etc)

16. joinerjohn1

Not saying how much they expect us to pay, is no basis for negotiation JoT. I wonder how Barnier would fair as a market trader selling fruit and veg? I can just imagine a conversation with a prospective customer.....

C,, "How much for 3 kilos of potatoes?"

B,, "I'm not telling you."

C,, " Well , how much for those nice looking apples?"

B,, "Take a guess."

C,, "Well can I have 1 kilo of bananas then?"

B,, "I'm sorry madam, those bananas don't meet strict EU regulations."
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p