Tiling in a bath

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I have a relatively small bathroom. In order to make the room a bit bigger and integrate the bath better, I was thinking of tiling the side panel.

Appreciate if the bath plays up you have an issue fixing things.

But the property has had push piping recently installed throughout, so hopefully I shouldn't have any issues going forward.

Is it more hassle than its worth?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

IM

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You won’t say that when the waste breaks,the taps want changing. Always make panel off bath fit afterwards.otherwise ull be smashing it out with a hammer.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It’s totally fine having a tiled bath panel, if that fits the scheme your going for BUT ........ it must be constructed on a back board, say 12mm ply (can go thinner just add battens on the back of the board) and it MUST be removable

If ur a handy diy’er this is a straightforward job with some planning and measuring involved

Various ways of fixing the panel whilst still keeping it removable, some of the design will depend on the bath and frame construction. Can use simple mirror screws drilled through tiles and into timber (use the flat headed mirror screws as the domes are soooooo old fashioned)

Look at ‘Keku Fixings’, or even Velcro tape.

Some baths have metal clips to hold supplied panel on, some have a groove under top edge of bath that panel slips into, various others I guess. You may have to be ingenious but can usually work something out

Not so easy if a P shaped bath ! :eek:

Iron_Mike likes this.
  5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

I’ve tiles loads even L shape baths

In fact I’m doing one tomorrow

Just build the frame, cut a piece of ply and connect with magnet catches

You can’t grout the edges of the removable panel so must conceal with silicone

If you need to remove you simply cut the mastic and use suction grips to remove

ClaireSukeyChapman, Iron_Mike and CGN like this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You've asked this before.

7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers for the advice lads.

It is an L shaped bath.

8. ClaireSukeyChapman

ClaireSukeyChapman New Member

I wouldn't. Eventually something will go wrong... chaos theory...

I replaced a bath panel for £5 off ebay the other day in a flat I rent out. Can easily be removed in the future.

Some properties I have have boards that have obviously been home made and the screws have rusted so much I dread the day that something goes wrong and they need removing..

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Simple ..... use stainless steel screws,or brass screws, or another type of fixing

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Simple...use nails instead :D

11. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket Active Member

Better still, No More Nails :p

Iron_Mike likes this.
  12. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Just like that guys

Magnet catches

Attached Files:

Iron_Mike and CGN like this.
  13. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers fella

14. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

As has been said, magnet catches or Keku fixings - personally I prefer the magnet catches as they have a little bit more leeway than the keku fixings, which need to be pretty spot on when they're installed.