Advice on extra HDMI

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sparky-Matt, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Sparky-Matt

Sparky-Matt New Member

Evening guys, just looking for a bit of advice really

I have been asked by a customer to install extra HDMI ports aswell as power. They currently have their TV on a stand in the corner of the room, this is now going to be mounted above the fireplace.

They have asked for an extra 3 ports behind the TV, and another 3 ports at low level to side of the fireplace where they will have a stand with all their other electrical things on, Xbox computer etc....

Can’t say I’ve ever really been involved in the AV side of things too much, what would be your preferred method and what materials would you use ?

Thanks for your advice

Matt

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I'm not sure 100% what your customer wants, do they want to have three HDMI ports (female) at low level so they can plug in their gear in, ie three hdmi cables to 3 hdmi inputs on the tv, as in three hdmi outputs (female) behind the tv or do they want some sort of switch device installed so the tv can handle up to 6 hdmi inputs?

So really three x hdmi extensions or 6 times hdmi inputs to the tv

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thinking the same.

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  4. Sparky-Matt

Sparky-Matt New Member

Apologies Columbo, didn’t make myself clear

Yes, they want an extra 6 HDMI inputs for the TV.

3 x low level and 3 x behind the TV on the wall.

Everything has to be hidden, no surface wiring etc...

Thanks very much

Matt

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about network points or is every thing going to be wireless like xbox, tv, etc.

And hdmi would need to be version 2.0 or 2.1 perferably (latest xbox one will be hdmi 2.1) to cope with 4k resolutions which are now considered standard nowadays.

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  6. Danr

Danr New Member

Just use standard HDMI cables to either a brush plate above and below or a HDMI plate. If using the HDMI plate use a 35mm back box. The leads plug directly in to the plate so no wiring as such needed

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  7. Sparky-Matt

Sparky-Matt New Member

Hi KIAB, I did ask this question but I was told everything would be wireless with the new TV, all they require is 6 extra HDMI inputs , 3 directly behind the TV and 3 at low level so they can plug in and switch to and from whatever they like

Cheers

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  9. Sparky-Matt

Sparky-Matt New Member

Cheers danr, I had noticed you can get 3 gang HDMI plates which looked quite tidy, but wasn’t sure on the configuration of them. I’m going to need some sort of switch / splitter box behind the tv aren’t I ?

Daft question but do the HDMI ends fit through the holes in a

Cheers

10. Danr

Danr New Member

I doubt it. The Tv will have at a guess at least 3 HDMI ports. Yes you can use a 2g back box and euro mods to make a 3g HDMI plate. Don't leave to much cable in the box as it will make it hard to push back. Also buy the good quality Hdmi leads with the narrow neck. If that makes sense

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  11. Danr

Danr New Member

Yes they will go through the ko box 20mm hole if tou buy the narrow neck leads

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You can also get HDMI over Cat5 or Cat6 if you want to keep wall cabling flexible and Cat5 all over.

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  13. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Slightly confused but nothing new there lol.

Get the idea of using a switcher to increase the number of HDMI inputs and also the wanting to hide the cables running from the xbox, computer etc but puzzled as to where all these cables are going to end up and why do they want input sockets behind the TV?

For fear of stating the obvious / sounding silly those 3 inputs to the side of the TV are going to have to become outputs at some point, the same with those behind the TV, that would make a total of 12 (6in / 6out) sockets plus another possible one for the switcher output - although like i say i'm not sure why 3 sockets would be needed behind the TV unless they are the intended outputs for the 3 on the electronics stand, in which case you and the customer may have crossed wires or the switch box is going to be located away from the TV?

My background is IT but treating the HDMI switch / cables in the same way as a computer network and assuming the switch box is hidden behind the TV you'd need 3 sockets from the electronics stand going to 3 sockets behind the TV, these would then be connected via short HDMI patch cables to the inputs on the switcher - from there another short HDMI cable connects the switchers output to one of the TV's inputs Anything else could then be connected directly to the remaining switch box inputs as needed in place of the "original" 3 behind the TV but this would leave exposed cables, unless the customer has any ideas on where extra kit may live in the future - then extra sockets could be located there with the matching outputs fitted behind the TV to go along with the ones for the xbox and the switch box itself.

Attached is a very poor diagram, the bits on the left are spares / for future use and make up the total switch inputs to 6 as originally required.

Also sorry for the rambling post and / or getting the wrong end of the stick, its been a long day lol.

Attached Files:

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I know you said you asked, but are you sure they don't just want 3 extensions buried in the wall, so that you don't see the HDMI cables from the boxes up to the TV. Sky box>Floor socket>Upper Socket>TV

It makes no sense to have 3 ports behind the TV, what would you do with them? No one is going to go to the expense of hiding the 3 cables and then leaving another 3 hanging down from the TV?

If they really want 6 ports, then I would suggest you tell them to have them all at low level. Most new TV's will have at least 3 and probably 4 HDMI ports, use the 3 on board for the boxes and if they really want another 3, use a splitter box for the last one. That will save messing about switching for the 3 normal boxes.

Sparky-Matt likes this.
  15. Sparky-Matt

Sparky-Matt New Member

Totally agree Craig, I’m going back their tomorrow night to go through the specs etc.. before we start so I will update the thread tomorrow

Cheers for everyone’s help so far, much appreciated

16. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Thinking along those lines also - 4 sockets behind TV going to 4 sockets behind electronics stand and use short patch cables to connect everything. Gives the option of connecting everything directly to TV, all via switch or bit of both in case something doesn't work properly via switcher. Attached imaged probably explains better lol.

HDMI2.jpg

17. oddbod2

oddbod2 Member

Just a guess but it would seem to make more sense that they want three low level inputs that thread to three high level outputs behind the TV to plug into (at a guess) 3 HDMI inputs on the TV. So the output devices (sky, dvd, whatever) sit at low level and are "invisibly" connected to the TV.

Not sure they have thought it thru properly TBH.

Apart from anything else a TV above the fireplace is a pain in the neck - literally. There is a reason why TV stands aren't 5ft high!

I predict you'll be moving it again in 3 months. Go on, ask me how I know!! :oops:

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Two brush face plates, round PVC ducting with no bends.

If this isn't possible, you can get HDMI outlets which accept either a push fit tail (same manufacturer) or a plug in HDMI from behind, you need a bloody deep box for one of those though, and you're talking about three!

Is this wall solid? Stud would make things easier. You could loose extra length for example.

Cat5/6 is good for long or tricky runs, but you need a converter each end. Again, for three, this is not practical.

IMO, this is not a job worth considering. Look for alternatives such as duct. You could have outlets low level and cables emerging at high level from a brush plate (behind TV, out of sight, out of mind).

Duct.

Duct.

Duct.

19. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Done small Box Trunk buried so it's flush with plaster work B4 now.

Future proof and can get to everything for ever more! ;)

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Outputs behind the TV ... Not the best of solutions as you will need to make sure that it does not foul the brackets or TV back. If they use straight HDMI connectors there will be a need for at least a 50 mm clearance and possibly more, and if right angle connections on the flying leads are chosen, can they be guaranteed to go in the right direction? Every TV has the connections in differing places and what might be right today will be wrong next month when the TV is changed.

I would suggest putting panel mount extension cables in place with the free ends coming out of the wall, using a large deep 200mm square box with brush plate so any spare cable can be stowed away.

On mine, I fitted 2" plastic pipe from behind TV to the bottom of one side of the chimney breast (no fire/heat issues) and installed all cables - HDMI, USB, Ethernet, composite video and audio through that. And connection is made direct to the leads - yes, panel mount would be better, but they are hidden in my case. At the TV end they are routed to the appropriate connection point without bend radius issues and the TV is as close as possible to the wall.

KIAB likes this.