Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Refer to post number 393.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm willing to quote if you are near to me! (BN postcode)

3. Garry barnard

Garry barnard New Member

Hi im also looking for advice regarding valspar paint. I painted my house realised about where the smell was coming from, ended up payimg for a painter and decorator to come in and repaint every where. I've been in touch with valspar regarding this and they want a batch number, which i dont have. I threw the tins of paint becouse there was dribs and drabs in and i didnt know about this till my mother in law told me. Im stuck on what else i can do

4. Garry barnard

Garry barnard New Member

Hi im looking for some advice please. I painted my house with valspar and my house stuck. I didn't realise at the time that it was from the paint. I've been in touch with valspar regarding this and they want the batch number of the tin of paint. I no longer have the tins of paint becouse there was bits in the bottom. I didn't know about this until my mother in law told me. Any advice would be grateful, thank you

5. Teresa Alexander

Teresa Alexander New Member

I'm in Rickmansworth Hertfordshire ?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bit to far away, BN....Brighton area :(

7. Teresa Alexander

Ahh shame thanks anyway

8. TMB32

TMB32 New Member

CarolInCorsham,
    We painted walls, ceiling and woodwork with two coats of Zinnsser. All seemed fine for a week and then the smell returned Monday. We are going eek. We have two more rooms to treat and are not sure what to do. Can you let us know if the smell fades? or did you paint again with Zinsser? Grateful for any experience on this - Valspar not helpful at all.

9. TMB32

TMB32 New Member

maria2017,
    We painted walls, ceiling and woodwork in our dining room completely with two coats of zinnsser then repainted with two coats of Dulux paints. all was fine for a week then a smell returned - different odour, not as intense, more smell when central heating is on. We are desperately trying to get this fixed as we have two more rooms to treat and have family coming for Xmas. Who wants to have xmas dinner in that smell? Really grateful if you could let us know what happened next. Valspar just say that two coats of zinnsser if properly applied solves the problem and then haggle about how much Zinnsser we need.

10. TMB32

TMB32 New Member

Zinsser is ok - strong smell disappears quickly. Just open your windows for half a day.

11. TMB32

TMB32 New Member

Anyone discovered the name of the firm of loss adjustors that Valspar or B&Q are using - they 'work for' Valspar but dont want to give out much information about themselves.

12. Jane Crawford

Jane Crawford New Member

I am just in the middle of painting my room again and have used Binsser sealant twice now and will add 2 coats of dulux- can't smell anything as yet but it's only been 3 days so will let you know the outcome

13. Teresa Alexander

The latest that I have been told from Valspar customer relations is to use dulux trade stain block primer, firstly they said one coat now they are saying two with 45 minutes between coats to settle then leave for 1 week to to cure the odour then repaint. The advice has changed so many times over the months i've lost count. This weeks representative told me my attitude is sarcastic brillant !!!

14. Teresa Alexander

Gary if you have the date that you bought your paint and your debit card details B and Q will find a copy of your receipt then you can send this to Valspar ?

15. TMB32

TMB32 New Member

Teresa,
    The advice from Valspar is very confusing and we have found that they are reluctant to put their advice onto an email. Dulux say this paint is good for water stains and sealing powdery surfaces, they do not claim that it blocks odours. Zinsser claim permanent odour blocking for their Primer-Sealer Stainblocker. Dulux do make a solvent based blocker but you need to leave it at least 72 hours before painting with emulsion.
    Remember your contract is with B&Q, not Valspar, and you should keep them informed.

16. Sam moodie

Sam moodie New Member

Hi Jane - did the sealing work the second time? We have had the same problem. We painted over the valspar with Zinnser Bin sealant (which was a complete pain to use) and re-painted. But the room has started to smell again. Did your second coat help at all? Thanks! Sam

17. Sam moodie

Sam moodie New Member

Has anyone used the dulux sealant? Does it work? We used zinnser bin sealant but the smell has come back again albeit a bit weaker. We're at our wit's end with this now!

18. Sam moodie

Sam moodie New Member

Hi Maria - have you managed to resolve the issue? We have had the same problem. We painted over the valspar with Zinnser Bin sealant (which was a complete pain to use) and re-painted. But the room has started to smell again. Did your second coat help at all? Thanks! Sam

19. Jane Crawford

Jane Crawford New Member

Hi sam - I did 2 coats of sealant and made sure I went round the edges twice also with a paint brush. I then bought dulux soft sheen paint rather than a Matt as this tends to be like a sealer too. So far I haven't smelt anything and have just finished the woodwork so I hope no smells reappear. I hope you get sorted Sam, as I know how awful the smell is and I just hope I've got rid of it as got family coming to stay in December.
    If the smell does reappear then my last resort will be to get the room re-plastered which I really don't want to do. Fingers crossed

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thought the Valspar advice was for 2 coats of BIN.