The Institute of Fiscal Studies

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 2, 2017.

1. forecasts that 37% of all children in the uk - once the 5th richest economy in the world - will be in relative poverty by 2022.

This will be roughly an addition million children, completely reversing the progress made over the past 20 years.

Still, as long as we can kick out the 'grants who have contributed significantly to our economy and 'take back control' (how HOLLOW is that chant!), all is GREAT in Britain.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Another institution receiving funding from the EU ehh.. Nice try DA, nice try. ;);)

3. Really?

Are you telling me they are biased?

Go on, JJ - tell us on here that the IFS is biased.

Go on.

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

And 7 in 10 of these children will be born to a foreign national.

5. Facts ? Or misled by Farage et al ?

6. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Does it really matter who the parents are? The children are LIVING IN POVERTY, in our beloved, rich, UK.

Makes one feel so proud of our great country. Plenty money for HS2, Trident etc - but let the kids suffer!

Priorities? - don't make me laugh.

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Oopppps, my mistake I should have put 3 /10 not 7, the 7 is born to a British national. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Suppose not, but if there wasn't as many then the poverty level would be lower.

As for HS2, Yet another money making scheme for the super rich that will have no bearing on the country's wealth (from a profit point of view)

9. joinerjohn1

Aww come on Lanc, the only reason kids suffer is through their parents getting their priorities wrong.

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

This might help you understand how to manipulate figures to make things look bad when in fact nothing changed.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-worlds-5th-or-9th-largest-economy/

11. Really ?

Now that does need explaining.

12. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Food or a 50" LCD, ummm 50" it is then. :D:D

13. joinerjohn1

Kids clothes or beer n ciggy's ? Hmmmmmm let me think.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Makes one wonder where these statistics come from.

Governor of the Bank of England just said that there were more people in work than ever, and the economy is growing ahead of it's usual rate!

!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

What do you define as child poverty, or what is the official line?

16. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

...and lots of these 'jobs' are temp, zero hours etc - why are many working parents still not able to make a 'living wage'?

But then, I think that as long as we rich keep getting richer, it doesn't matter at who's expense, I suppose.:rolleyes:

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  17. Yes, I was using GDP. The most common comparison made.

Citing an alternative - the relative buying power within each country - to make us the 9th is fine is you prefer.

The point I am making - as I hope you understand - is where we are now compared to even a year ago. And, more importantly, where we will be in the future.

Right now, we might still be ahead of France (GDP) but considering that their economic growth (and that of the EU as a whole) is outstretching the UK's by a significant margin, don't look forward to poverty being eradicated any time soon. And if the pound continues in its weakened state - as a direct result of just the threat of Brexit - then France will (most likely already has) overtake us.

You are welcome. After all, you helped make it happen.

Don't look forward to the NHS or schools getting any extra cash for a looooong time. (Not unless it's privatised and we all need to take out insurance...)

Now, seriously, what was your point about 'manipulation'?

18. How is our 'usual rate' comparing with that of the EU?

19. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Simple really, we are roughly still were we were, its the people who spout doom and gloom that use the other chat makings us look as if we've dropped dramatically down the tables in some vain bid to prove a point that doesnt exist.
    If for arguments sake you used the $ per capita chart we're only 27th in the world miles behind Ireland, so that would look to make us poor, where in fact we're still one of the richest country's in the world.
    Its all about not being a defeatist and looking forwards to what will be a bright future.

20. Describe this bright future, in real details and information. Facts would help too, but I understand they may be a little difficult to provide. :rolleyes:

I keep hearing about this bright future full of growth and prosperity, but NEVER see anything that supports it, other than hope and dreams.