Boiler moved but need certificate for building regs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Markiemark, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Markiemark

Markiemark New Member

hi all

I had my boiler moved by a plumber back in September 2015 as part of an extension we were having done by builder.

Since then I got very ill (Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer) and have only just got back to full health.

Anyway I'm trying to get the extension signed off by buildings control but they're saying I need a certificate for the boiler being moved.

Can I get this from any plumber or do I have to go back to the original plumber to get a certificate?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Regards
    Mark

2. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The person who moved the boiler (I hope he was Gas Safe registered) should have registered the reinstallation with Gas Safe, who would then send you a certificate to say it complied with Building Regulations.

Go back to him and ask if he has registered the move. If not, phone Gas Safe (0800 408 5500) and explain your problem.

3. Markiemark

Markiemark New Member

Thanks. I'll try Gas Safe. Plumber is gas safe registered or so it says but he's being allusive (like a magicians disappearing act!)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might say Gas Safe, but being registered is a totally didn't thing.

5. Markiemark

Markiemark New Member

So you don't need to be registered to be gas safe?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Of course you need to be registered, but I knew of two plumbers who were advertising as Gas Safe registered,even had a sticker on van I think & on paperwork,yet they weren't even registered, your plumber might be the same.

7. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

If you can`t get hold of the original guy then expect the next one to remove the boiler from the wall and check things then rehang it and check the flue and pipework, treating it as a new install before signing it off.

Markiemark likes this.
  8. Markiemark

Markiemark New Member

I kind of gathered that another plumber wouldn't want to touch it

9. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

They will but they will be thorough as it their name going on it.

Markiemark, KIAB and Astramax like this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's reasonable enough as it's the persons livelihood! :)

Markiemark and just pumps like this.
  11. Mr_bizzare

Mr_bizzare New Member

Any Gas Safe registered fitter would be able to check your installation in 20 to 30 minuets, most flues if not all flues are visible once once the combustion chamber is open and the integrity of a flue can be checked with an FGA. After checking the flue and combustion checks of burner, working and operating pressure and general visual opservations will satisfy a fitter used to domestic boilers. Try and find a company the carries out landlords gas checks they will be used to certifying other people's work.

12. Markiemark

Markiemark New Member

Thanks everyone. I managed to get in touch with the plumber and he is coming on Friday to check the boiler (which he is charging for) so hopefully get my homeowners certificate that will be sufficient for building control to sign off!

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bluddy cheek!:eek:

sam spade, CGN and Markiemark like this.
  14. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Still doesn't answer the question...

Is he Gas Safe registered or just pretending to be .

PhilSo (inquisitive).:oops:

KIAB likes this.
  15. Markiemark

Markiemark New Member

Hey PhilSo

Yes he is registered. I checked on the gas safe register.

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If he fitted boiler he shouldn't really be charging you for cert

KIAB and PhilSo like this.
  17. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

So why didn't you receive a certificate in 2015 from Gas Safe ?
    Maybe he didn't notify Gas Safe in 2015.
    I wonder why not.:cool:
    When you booked the Friday visit (chargeable :eek:) did you ask why you hadn't received a certificate when he moved the boiler in 2015.
    Do you have a receipt/invoice from 2015.

PhilSo (Sherlock)

18. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Pleased that your health has improved :)

PhilSo...

19. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You may as well use someone else to do cert as he is taking the ****

KIAB likes this.
  20. Markiemark

Markiemark New Member

I agree but I want to get him to come tomorrow and then question him about it! Otherwise I think he won't respond and ignore my calls! I feel like I'm held to ransom