Painting the caulk line on a skirting board

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I am not sure if I should be painting the caulk line the same colour as the skirting board (white) or the colour of the wall (grey)

Is there a standardised approach or does it come down to personal preference?

Thanks

IM

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I usually paint the caulk the same as the wall, especially if the caulk thickness varies due to undulating walls. Do it the other way, and it would highlight the ripples and bends in the walk, but when painted to the edge of the skirting, the wall will look straight to the eye.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  3. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

I paint the woodwork first, then cut in with emulsion. If you can get a nice straight line, it doesn't matter so much exactly where the join is.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never thought about that........how much caulk are you guys using, sounds more like a filler job!:eek:

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Filler will crack if used for this. Caulk only!!!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I know that, what I am badly saying is how large is the bead of caulk if you require advice on where to paint it up to:rolleyes:!

Isitreally likes this.
  7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Is only a minor bit of caulk. I crush the nib end to ensure only a small bit comes out.