110v Vacuum ("dust extractor") AKA Hoover to use on site

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by AlvyChippy, Nov 7, 2017.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Right chaps, to put bluntly got "hand forced over" and after years of avoiding, new job, that I will be starting midd next week (mainly 2'nd fix), site foreman demands having own dust extraction... bug8er!

I had Henry (240v - joke of an "pro" vacuum, home hoover is way better), worked in workshop with proper system (240v fully auto "overhead on a pulley"- lovely), also used Axminister (110v supplied) and all as one are pain in the back side. All the hoses, adapters (my tools will need at least 3 types), heavy, cumbersome.

Had a chippy using own Festool (small) one, but it wasn't up to the job and the price! ... perhaps even more expensive would be OK, being a tight git- just can not justify such expense.

Honestly WILL NOT care for M or L class or any other class, need one, so it would have "auto take off", 110V, wouldn't be too big and reasonably priced.

Looking/considering to add on "cyclone separation system", that's another rip off at over hundred moneys, but it makes simple job even more cumbersome...

Shortlisted towards Sparky, Sealey, Vacmaster and even *might splash out £210" on Fein one.

(Unless hiring one for this job, but about a month work, will end costing more, than to buy out-right, I thinks)

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There are some nice Nilfisk machines - they do 110v with power take off and switch on take off.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some 110v are restricted to about 1000w for power take off, so rules out some of the larger power tools.:)

Pollowick and AlvyChippy like this.
  4. Pollowick

Will always be a problem though ... and if used with portable transformers, they are often limited to 1, 1.5 or 2 kW so allowing for the extractor power, there will not be much left. And cable/flex sizes will be getting rather large.

My old 230v vacuum/extractor has a takeoff which is limited to 1250 or 1500 W

AlvyChippy likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Makita VC2012L vacuum/extractor takeoff says 2000w @ 240v.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  6. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Will have a look at ;)

7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Worrying!

8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

So, if to use separate transformer, "take off" is out of question :(

9. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

(Might, just might) get over my makyyta "pet hate", if there is 110v version...

Any suggestions for actual model's, makes etc?

Thanks!

Also, found some "vortex separators" with universal adaptors for under 50 moneys- back on a table option ;)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

AlvyChippy likes this.
  11. Broon

Broon Active Member

Could try Trend T31A or T35

AlvyChippy likes this.
  12. Broon

Broon Active Member

13. Pollowick

That would mean the cable and circuit need to be capable of 36003700 W or 35 A certainly not a transformer option. And with thos machines at 1200 and 1700 W even using alone would need a 2kW transformer. So, only really suitable for a site where there is a 110v supply available.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A 110v heater transformer (has a continuous rating, unlike a normal 110v transformer) might be suitable, but not cheap to buy.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  15. Pollowick

Probably need to be a 5kVA which tend to be rated for short term use at that level and down at around 3.5kVA continuous - probably around £150!

edit to add:

A quick search bring up this: https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-411230...MI6v3Oyb2v1wIVtgrTCh2j-gwQEAQYASABEgLxe_D_BwE

5kVA non-continuous, 3.5 kVA continuous.

Fitted with 13A mains plug! So, 13A at 230V => 3000 W How long before the plug and fuse overheat? Or the fuse ruptures regularly when used for short high power bursts ?

AlvyChippy likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A 5kva Continuous Rated Transformer is close to £300, but needs a 32A 240v supply.:(

AlvyChippy likes this.
  17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I had the trend t31. Good bit of kit, it can take abuse.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have the 240v Nilfisk Aero stocked by our hosts (but bought cheaper elsewhere) which is an M class if used with the correct filter I believe. Relatively quiet - I hadn't realised how noisy my Earlex had become (or always was) and pretty thorough when used with a Mirka Deros. Not had it long enough to really put through its paces but pleased with it so far as value for money. The power take off is 1900w I think but can't check as it's on a job - don't know about the 110v. I have made a dust separator using a baffle system and that works well enough. Cyclones can be bought for less than £20 on Amazon.
    Interestingly I have seen what I think is the same machine dressed as Milwaukee at over twice the price. Now I like my Milwaukee kit but......

AlvyChippy likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And my Makita VC2012L is identical to the Nilfisk Aero 26 -?, can use the Nilfisk bags in mine, & cheaper than the Makita bags.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cyclone filter can be bought on Ebay cheaply, got one fixed to a blue plastic drum to use with mitre saw & planer.:)

[​IMG]

AlvyChippy likes this.