flat roof - how to repair felt coming away from brick upstand

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by george100, Nov 12, 2017.

1. george100

george100 New Member

Hi,

I have a 15 year old flat roof. In a few places, the felt has pulled away from the brick upstand and water is getting in. I have had 2 quotes to repair it - without replacing the whole roof, which is the best method for a proper repair?

method 1
    - cut away affected felt
    - sand and cement
    - prime
    - re-felt

or method 2
    - cut away affected felt
    - grind back mortar bed
    - trowel on bitumen to build up repair and use grey acropol as a secondary seal

Not much in the price, I'm more interested in what will fix the problem for the next 10 years?

Thanks in advance!

2. Do you not have Arris rail fitted at the abbutment to the brickwork?

3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Saw cut a line above felt, insert lead counter flashing and method 1

4. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Or lay Liquid Plastics all over roof and cut chase return liquid into chase and seal.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely lead flashing as above.

OP: Need a few photo's.

6. Fit arris rail if there is not one there.
    Fit 6-9" of new felt to roof and lap up arris rail .
    Cut chase in wall, fit lead flashing and cement into chase.
    The arris rail and lead allows for movement, which when the felt is fixed straight onto the wall you do not have.

7. george100

george100 New Member

here are the photos - what do you think?

Attached Files:

8. george100

george100 New Member

photos added - thanks

9. george100

george100 New Member

Could someone comment on the photos please, now that I have added them. Is method 1 better? Do I need arris rail and/or lead flashing?

10. Is that Asphalt in the photos?
    If it is, get an asphalt roofer who will repair it and give it a coat of solar reflective paint.
    When it was done it should have had an arris rail fitted with a lead flashing over that.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ignore it being a warm roof,& cavity wall, but it show shows aris rail & lead flashing (your missimg both) over the felt upstand, this standard contruction on a flat roof.
    Before soldier course laid, lead work should have been done, you can still cut a slot with grinder for it
    [​IMG]

12. Kiab I asked if he had an Asphalt roof.If it is,it will more than likely be a cold roof.

Why have you posted a drawing of a warm felted,not Asphalted roof to my question to the original poster.

13. george100

george100 New Member

it is a felt roof

14. Cannot see the picture too clearly and the first one looked like it could be Asphalt.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I said IGNORE the warm roof,etc:rolleyes:, the diagram shows a similar construction of a flat roof, the location of arris rail the felt upstand & the lead flashing protecting the felt upstand, regardless whether a warm or cold roof, it's basically the same contrustion principle.

16. george100

george100 New Member

2 builders have looked at it and both said it's felt - personally I could not tell the difference

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Replace with GRP wouldn't need to touch for 40 years or so.:D

18. george100

george100 New Member

this photo shows it better - thanks

Attached Files:

19. Asphalt is about 3/4" thick when it is laid.