SWA Cores

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Philde, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Philde

Philde Member

An easy question to answer I hope. For single phase domestic SWA circuit, say to shed, should there be a separate conductor for the earth, i.e. use 3 core cable, or is it the norm to use 2 core and use wire armour for the earth conductor? Or is it an 'it depends' situation?

Cheers.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I used 3 core. There's an issue with using the armour as it's cross section area might not be enough especially if equiporential bonding comes into it. I'd suggest just use 3 core.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Aye Doc in some cases the adiabatic equation will show that the armour is not suitable to use as earth - myself would use 3 core..however saying that I think it would be pertinent to ask the following question to the op..

What is the supply type at intake 1 (house) Phil?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When I did my C&G electrics some 35 years ago, my lecturer, a spark of many,many years, drummed into us,always use a third core for earth & never relie on the armour for a earth conductor.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur 100% Mr K..however lets hope people are not misconstrued with respect to that - aye tt for instance at shed position etc, when the use of 2c SWA would of course be necessitated in 99% of dom cases (single phase)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  6. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Few and far between. You presumably mean selection from the table will not prove suitability in some instances without resorting to adiabatic calculation, which may well prove it to be adequate.

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

So did he advocate the use of 5-core for a three-phase four-wire supply?

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Aye exactly Mr R

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I doubt in domestic installation that you will find the armour is inadequate for use as a CPC, unless it’s a very long run.
    If supplying a building with extraneous conductive-parts then a 10mm2 core is one option, the other being to TT the building.

10. Philde

Philde Member

Supply is TN-C-S, distance would be around 4 metres.

Phil...

11. spinlondon

If there’s nothing that requires bonding in the building, 2 core will be fine.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't remember after all these years with three phase, but with 240v he was a stickler for it,but I would always still earth the armour as well.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I always remember on an electrical course at my company a few years back and I asked the main geezer a question which is below.

''Are you allowed to export pme?''- no you cannot the lecturer said.

Never said owt else on the subject tbqh.

14. spinlondon

Perhaps someone should of asked him to explain how it’s done with street furniture and lighting?

15. Philde

Philde Member

Entirely wooden and slate construction, no metalwork (except screws and nails :) ), no other services.

Thanks

Phil...

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

That was some time back Spin, but I have noticed that some people say that if the intake is tn-c-s then the outbuilding you are supplying must be treated as tt (never exported pme so cant really say what way I would do it tbqh) myself maybe export the pme but also rod it down which I think is logical, thanks Sine) or just go tt full stop..or just export the pme with no faffing? I dont really know on that one. What do you do Spin?

17. spinlondon

Generally I export the PME.
    Long runs, I might consider TT, but not been an issue.

Bazza likes this.
  18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

This is worth a read

https://gadsolutions.biz/regulations/swa-as-the-cpc

I believe there are certain situations involving a PME supply where it can't be done as copper must be used. I think it only applies if you need to bond for extraneous parts.

I've used 2 core/swa myself but only of TNS supplies and would have no issues doing it again. Would have to gen-up if it was a PME.

The ONLY factor I would concern myself with would be cost, ie 3 core swa per m is more than 2 core, but it's not likely to be a factor on a short run with a small CSA.

Using the swa as the earth is 100% fine providing the terminations are properly glanded off and the correct size gland used. I've seen some done with a bs951 clamp which is totally unacceptable imo.

19. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Col...just about to post that info...lol
    RS

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Who's that smartypants youtuber guy, he's got a video on this.