shower pump ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by apocalypse61, Nov 22, 2017.

1. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

Hi guys, I have a gravity fed system, approx 0.5m between header tank & shower head, for 12 years I have had a jetforce 55 (1.5 bar) feeding a single shower hand set (all 15mm pipework) providing a half decent power shower,

have now replaced the shower with a Cassellie Deana shower (min 0.5 bar) with fixed head & hand set, the fixed head seems ok but the handset is bearly a power shower anymore, so it looks like i need to upgrade the pump ? what size pump do I need ? and do I need to upgrade the pipework as well to 22mm ? I mean it reduces to 15mm at the "t" bar anyway ?

much appreciated,

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Cassellie Deana thermostatic mixer shower?
    Inlet Connection Size: 3/4 inch (22mm) if we are looking at same shower, & you have reduced it down to 15mm.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Pressure isn't everything, you also need to look at the flow rate the pump is capable of. Stuart Turner make great pumps, spec on their Monsoon Standard 3.0 bar pump is for example:

Performance
    Maximum head (closed valve) 3.0 bar
    Performance @ 9 l/min 2.5 bar
    Performance @ 18 l/min 2.1 bar
    Maximum flow 60 l/min

1.5 bar should be enough but your pump probably has insufficient flow rate. What is the make and model of your pump?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::p

No longer made.:eek:

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks, I must be blind. :rolleyes:

Did some googling and can't find the flow rate spec on that pump. Suggest the OP contact Stuart Turner and ask them for advice on a suitable replacement pump, their CS are very helpful.

6. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

If the fixed head works OK it would suggest to me that the pump is adequate, but that there is something wrong with the hand held shower head set up.

Try:

1. Unscrewing the head, and see if the flow from the open hose end is better.
    2. Unscrewing the flexible hose from the shower body and see if flow is better.

If 1. results in decent flow, the head may be blocked / faulty.
    If 2. results in decent flow, then the diverter valve may be faulty.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Unless he means when the hand held is turn on in addition to the fixed head. Its not clear.

8. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

ah ! i didnt fit it, but the pipes going into the wall are 15mm

9. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

you can only have either or, can't have the overhead and the handset on at the same time

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Restrictor.

11. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

yeh tried that no blockage,

12. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

but where ?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Connection inlets, can't find any installation leaflet for shower, OP has 15mm pipework whether this would restrict performance of shower which has 3/4" inlet not sure.

14. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

so, if the mixer/t bar has 22mm connections, even if i connect it with 22mm pipe i would still have to reduce to 15mm at the pump ? so no difference ?

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

When you unscrewed the head or hose, how much flow was there compared to when the head is fitted?

16. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

just done that, with head on approx 5l/min head off 7l/min

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's pretty poor, what about if you take the hose off the mixer unit? Wondering if there is a restrictor there or something.

18. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

approx 9l/min thats abpout 900mm lower down of course

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Do you have any isolation valves before/after the pump? And are they fully open?

Just to confirm that your pump has 15mm connections.

20. apocalypse61

apocalypse61 Member

yep, both inlet valves to pump fully open, no blocked inline filters, 15mm pipe all the way through, i'm wondering if the Deana mixer has 22mm connections would I be better of upgrading the pump and pipework to 22mm right through ?