Ireland

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

If I could even comprehend the connection , I might be able to respond.:(

It's really very simple, do you believe that England is subsidising Scotland?
    If yes, why not let them go and save our money?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If you can't.

Then you shouldn't respond. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Which of the 23 countries in the EU are asking for independence and who is stopping them?

Scotland will be asking and our government will be saying 'No' (presumably) - how is this situation replicated in the EU? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. ( I can do more 'rolleyes' than you - so I win ?)

4. 'Funny you should mention the Greeks, since their economy is now growing faster than the UK's.

5. Are you including 'Scottish' oil in this equation? By that I mean oil that just happens - by pure geographical chance - to be located off the coast of Scotland. So the Nats call it 'theirs'?

If so, does that mean that all the financial income from the 'city' of London is just London's? Or, if I find a gold seam under my hoosie in Devon it suddenly becomes mine, and Devon sues for Indy-pendy?

I mean, why is it Scotland's oil and not the UK's? Are we not one union?

And, if you maintain that it IS Scotland's oil and no-one else's, I do have to ask; would Scotland still be keen on Indy if it just didn't happen to have this oil? If it 'needed' England?

It's all very well to for a country or region (yes, I'm talking to you, Catalonia...) to shout "It's all MINE! And gee' us Indy while we're at it!" when they - through nothing other than pure chance - have an extra income on their doorstep.

Why do I not like the Scots Nats? For exactly the same reason I don't like Brexiters. I love 'union'. I like being a part of a bigger thing, as well as 'just' a 'Brit'. I want to share, for good and bad - but mostly good. I want to make things better - for everybody. I want us to be together.

I hate chippiness. I hate deluded swagger (in fact I hate all swagger, but mostly the deluded stuff...).

I have fought the Nats (and won, on that occasion). I have looked them in the eye. And what I saw was not good. Nope, not at all.

They were like Filly and Longs and JJ and Mr Ha. Almost to a person.

btiw2 likes this.
  6. btiw2 'liked' a post of mine.

Life is complete.

(Tragically, I am not being sarcy for once... :-( )

7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I sort of agree, but kinda agree with Lanc too (cos I'm balanced today[1]).

The thing is you find many English people who want to smugly talk about how Scotland is subsidised by England.

Well, yeah - because unless you're a banker in the city, then pretty much everyone is.

I seem to remember that JJ lives near Derby. Derby's GVA per capita is less than Edinburgh's or Glasgow's.

Almost any economic figure you look at that breaks the UK down by region shows that London generates our income, our tax and import revenue (and [for obvious reasons] our inequality - but forget that for a minute).

There are few other (proper) countries where the capital distorts the figures so much.

It's a little like people who want to denigrate the unemployed as moochers and scroungers, because they pay less in tax than they take in services.... just like most employed people then?

[1] Lithium. It's not just for power tools.

Lanc and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  8. I'm personally voting 'Indy for Derby'.

Bludy bunch of scroungers.

Millstone.

Swarming locusts.

They are 'all the bludy same'.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

(Anyhoo, Lancs is cool - I give you permission to also agree with him)

9. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Do you not see the false logic in that statement, DA?

Scotland wanted to remain (and still does) in the 'larger union of the EU - they WANT to be part of a "bigger thing", just like you :oops:. Plenty of Nats among their 62% in favour, yet you must hate them, too:rolleyes:.

You do certainly hate groups of people with a vengeance, don't you, DA?

( and there was me thinking you were being sarcy again)

10. Scotland knows it's completely fluffed without someone to hold their hand, be it having a free-trade agreement or summat else. So - although I do have to 'fess it did come as an initial surprise - Scotland is 'wise' to look to the EU.

Scots Nats just hate the English, let's face it. That's their reason d'etre. Simplistic? Yes. True? Pretty much. All together now "OH FLOWER O' SKOTLAN'..."

Lancs, I do accept that there are MORE Scots how have a 'reasoned' argument for leaving the union than there are Brexiters with a 'reasoned' 'ment for leaving the bigger union, but - sadly - the bulk have no more thinking behind it than all the reasons used by the latter. Usually delivered with a 'bludy' in the answer. "Bludy English telling us what to do." "They're a' the same at Westminster - we'll no dance tae their toon..." etc etc etc.

It is banal in the extreme.

And, yes, I do hate certain groups. Which ones? The wilfully ignorant. The bigotted.

11. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

You certainly have accepted the 'colonial' attitude towards Scotland, you presumable are still living the dream of the British Empire, and how it will ultimately return and rule the world. Only English leaders can lead the Scots, then? Let's consider the present government bunch, I would suggest it is they who are needing someone to 'hold their hands (or even throats!).

Thus your statement about Scots not managing without the present 'Brexit boys and girls' though, is truly insane.

Otherwise it probably makes you "wilfully ignorant", of your own opinions of our 'leader's abilities' - so do you hate yourself as well? :D

12. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Bigots dislike people because they simply have different opinions to themselves...
    ...and you hate people simply for having bigotted views...

I think we've discovered hateception.

13. Most of that I agree with, Lancs.

The present bunch? Jeepers...

The Corbyn alternative? Kryust.

The Nats? Bludy hell.

Never have I suggested that the Scots needs their hand holding, by the English or anyone else. But, it is part of our union and should develop as such. It certainly does have resources that other parts don't have (and my very bro is making some ground-breaking developments in that field right now) and these resources should be developed to its max.

Devolution? Yes. Independence? I don't think so. Certainly not when it's driven by simple-minded delusion. As is Brexit.

14. A bigoted view of bigots does not hateception make.

But if it makes me a bigot too, then whatevs.

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Remarkable, truly remarkable. Well done James.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

'ronic.

17. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Was it not Enoch Powell who said "A power devolved is a power retained" - that, I think, is why Scots will not opt for devolution again, they have seen exactly how Westminster has kept control of the most important things.

They just don't seem to get it - I am embarrassed every PMQs at how the Tory "brayers" attempt to belittle what is, after all, the 3rd Party in UK politics (in itself a remarkable achievement ) - it must produce so much anti-English feeling up there to have to watch how their MPs are treated, and you wonder why .

18. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

DA, I think you might appreciate this article that has just been sent to me from a friend 'up North', and it's written by a Nat, but it's worth a read, anyway, I reckon. I think you may find much in it with which you agree ( Ooooh that I should be so presumptive, but what the heck).

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2017/11/24/small-minded-and-far-away/

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

DA, if I could afford to move slightly away from Derby, I’d do it tomorrow mate. We have a council who don’t know what the hell they are doing. Spent £millions refurbishing the council house up less than 10 yrs ago and are now spending another £millions changing it. The Assembly Rooms venue caught fire a few years back. Destroyed a building on the roof which just happened to contain the air con etc for the venue. Absolutely didn’t do any damage inside the building, but guess what,, ever since, the council owned and run venue has not been used. They now want to knock it down and build a new venue costing ,,,,( you’ve guessed it) £millions.
    If Derby became “ independent” tomorrow, I’d leave tonight.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.