Ireland

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 17, 2017.

1. I shall give it a read, Lancs.

2. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Cheers.
    Await your reaction (I'm told the author is not an SNP member, although supporting independence).

3. Yep, it's mostly fair enough, Lancs.

Not sure, tho', how he concludes what'll happen to Ireland and Scotland; "Ireland will receive assistance from the rest of the EU to make up for the damage to its economy. Britain will be on its own and the resultant mess is likely to lead to both the reunification of Ireland and to Scottish independence. The British state might acquiesce with Brexit being turned into a coup d’etat by right wing market extremists, but that doesn’t mean that Ireland, or Scotland, are going to suffer the consequences. One day soon, for both Scotland and Ireland, the self-inflicted arsewipery of the British state will be the problems of a small minded state that’s far away from our reality."

Sadly, as with everything Brexit so far, I fear simply more of the same; a continued muddle - no concrete decisions, nothing decisive, just a hellish mix of second-rate compromises which serve only to mess up our economy still further (how ironic that we are now growing at a slower rate than Greece, I understand...)

This Brexit malarkey is going well, isn't it?!

Roughly as well as the Remainers on here reckoned it would all along.

If I may quote him further: "So far Britain’s approach to the question of the Irish border has been that of someone who throws their dinner on the floor, smashes all the crockery, and then demands that Ireland and the EU clean up the mess, make a new dinner, and take pottery lessons so they can replace the broken plates and mugs. Ireland, not surprisingly, is of the view that it was the UK which caused this problem and it’s incumbent upon the UK to sort it out."

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sadly for Ireland, it was their initial independence and subsequent joining of the EU and the Eurozone which has caused this problem DA. They may do well to look in the mirror when apportioning blame. ;);)

5. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Cast your mind back to the end of the 90s.

Tony Blair was the new PM (calm down DA!) and this was the era of "cool Britannia".

I hated it.

It seemed superficial. Cool Britannia was London centric, or at least urban. It was about fashion models, pop stars, actors and clothes designers. All poncy people with whom I have nothing in common. Admittedly, I drink and swear like the Gallaghers, but similarities started and ended there.

But in the 90s "cool Britannia" was our global brand. All the grumpy, raggedy, uncool people like me weren't going to take the shine off that brand.

What's our "brand" now? (God! Even using the word brand makes me puke in my mouth a bit)

I was on business in France earlier this year (note: I'm not making out that I'm some sort of jet setter (cos I'm not). It was just a weird thing that meant I had a meeting with some people in France). Obviously Brexit came up.

Now our brand seems to be insular, provincial, small, petty and naive. We've gone from "Cool Britannia" to what? Small Britannia? Fool Britannia? Cruel Britannia? Perhaps even "let's all ridicule Britannia".

I didn't think Cool Britannia represented me. I don't think our new brand does either. I think they're both false. But, on balance, I preferred being "cool".

Jord86 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Cheese is cool?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I quite like RULE BRITANNIA.

8. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

At least we seem to agree about Brexit, if not Scots independence ( but I'll maybe keep working on you!).

9. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

But who on earth is going to agree to rule us :D ?

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Oh the EU my friend the EU, its just we're not going to let them anymore.

Fingers crossed.

longboat likes this.
  11. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

The way things are going you need more than fingers crossed, I reckon.:eek:

Isitreally likes this.
  12. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

You MAY be right, she's not looking so powerful at the mo and willing to give up to much for a trade deal that's not really necessary.

13. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

"The way things are going" ?
    What headlines have you formulated that from?

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The remainers must be bricking it, if all goes as planned then the evil Tories are after them and if somehow it's scuppered, the 17.4mil leave voters (thugs) will be after them.
    Thugs 'v' pansies.
    Tories 'v' pansies.

Poor remainers.

15. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

I'm betting that 17.4 million is now much less, keep an eye on latest opinion polls - so I'm certainly not scared. :D :D

Presumably you will be a leading "thug":rolleyes:.

16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You should be.
    A rolled up daily publication of the Guardian and a slice of quice will be no match for a marauding horde of daily mail subscribers.
    Even outnumbered two-one, we'll still win.

17. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I wouldn't bet too much money because the polls I've read suggest the opposite. As the EU 'lean' on us more heavily, more people will be saying just 'walk away'.
    Google it, you'll find plenty of links to polls, but please do google it before you swagger into a 'bookies' with a handful of fifties.

18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You know it......dawg.
    Lu9EB2Ra.jpg
    :D

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Don't start, DA.
    I know.

20. How simple, JJ.