whats the thoughts on deposits for work

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by b4xtr, Nov 26, 2017.

1. And a helluva lot of Whisky too.

2. facilities

facilities Guest

Don’t even think about it, to ask for that amount and want to leave it in an unfinished state till after Xmas, bin him and get another builder, ok there Are dodgy builders as well as dodgy Home owners, and can understand some sort of deposit under the right circumstances, over a year ago I moved to a new area and decided on a local builder that lived in the area who came well recommended through local people whom he had done work for, the initial quote was around £50,000, but ended up at finish of job considerably higher but that was down to me adding to the work as we went on so no complaint there, he asked me for £5,000 the week he was due to start, I didn’t fancy that but agreed to 2 or 3 grand the the end of the first week of work, no materials up to then mainly rip out, to cut a long one short we ended up with a good relationship whereby I paid him money when he asked this could have been every 3 or 4 weeks but I was also happy with work done and the quality.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Chap who did my digging does driveways/ground works/patios etc and told me that standard price for block pavier driveway is £100/sqm, down to £75/sqm for gravel surface. That includes digging down about a foot with compacted hardcore etc, proper job. So 130sqm job would be £13k, add in some for more expensive stones and I still struggle to see how materials would cost £15k.

4. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

@Dr Bodgit
    Hear what your saying, in my case the pavers are a 3 size mix there's also a 9" Face Brick boundary wall and then a drop Kerb & Tarmac
    As i said before, they were the most expensive of the quotes but, we had seen plenty of their work locally

UPDATE spoke with them earlier and the upshott is " those are our terms take it or leave it "

Fed up now LOL

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'd leave it then, too much of a risk whatever their history and reviews have been. Clearly your job is bigger than a standard driveway, may be go with one of the other two or shop around for another couple of quotes? And this time ask how payments work before they quote...

6. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Yeah deff ask before next time
    just assumed it would be something like 10 or 20% not 50+%

7. Chances are they are a perfectly reputable company, will do a very good job and there's no real risk.

Chances.

But their attitude - 'cocky' comes to mind - isn't enough; they should be reassuring their potentials customers, not acting as if they are the ones doing you a favour. They reckon they have this order in the bag, can pick and choose, can demand a ridiculous deposit up front.

And most of the time they can.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it - because the risk is all yours. And perhaps it's time for a reality check for them - that this is all about the customer.

If I were in your position, I would take up references for the other companies and - if convinced they would do an equally good job - take it from there.

If that company can really afford to let slip a £25k job, then they are fools.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

WALK AWAY!

QUICKLY

9. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Spoke to the wife and decided we're going to leave it till after xmas and think again (that bluddy xmas word again )

Many thanks to all for the input

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. I think that is a very good decision.

Whether you end up going with them after all is up to you, but this caution should hopefully focus their minds.

I can honestly say that I would not have a relaxing Christmas knowing that I'd handed over £15k with no protection.

Meanwhile (a) investigate the alternatives so you can make an informed choice post-Chrimbo, and (b) have a very good one :).

KIAB likes this.
  11. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Yeah, just a bit annoying as it took us nearly six months to choose the finishes :)

But will deffo have a more relaxed time

12. The 'finishes' ain't gonna change :)

13. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

well, you say that but, you've not met the wife :)

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

In the UK virtually all commercial construction contracts are progress payments. My builder, plumber and sparks all don't ask for deposits and I pay them on the nail at the end of the job, or a part payment when asked (builder). No reputable contractor should actually need a deposit for cash flow. I would offer weekly progress payments if they won't agree to payment on completion. £15K up front? not a bloody chance here!

15. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I've never asked for money up front,I usually ask for the first payment when we have made a start and have had some materials delivered.

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

U
    something tells me your missus has plans for that £15000 :)

17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know DA won't believe me but the firm I used to work for in the 80s used to ask for a minimum 20% deposit paid two weeks before scheduled start. We got it as well. Different times....

18. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Ha! Nah, she's been wanting it done for a long time now

Sparkielev likes this.
  19. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Hate asking for money up front when job ends feels like working for nothing but that depends on cost of job I suppose

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

What paviors were you going to use out of intreast.